Chapter 29 ~ Deceivers

© 2013 by Authorninja. All rights reserved.

Chapter 29 ~ Deceivers

           We sat in silence. Him probably wandering what I was doing here and me calculating exactly how I was going to do this, whatever this was.

"I'm sorry," I said at the exact time as he said; "So."

He widened his eyes a little, clearing his throat. "Sorry for what, princess?"

I choked back a scoff, giving him a slight smile. "For the way I've been treating you. I judged you before I got to know you, and that wasn't right."

I wasn't completely sure if my words weren't too far off point. Josias smirked, and I tried not to roll my eyes at that callous move.

 I needed to calm down, I had to subdue the instincts I had to hate everything he did. Maybe it really wasn't right of me.

"It's okay, I enjoyed the chase." Josias' words caught me off guard, and I wasn't really sure how to respond to that. I expected him to be more pushy, or at least curious. "But now that you know me, do you like what you see?" Josias swiped his hand around him, and I couldn't help but think; there's the Josias I know.

I shook my head, chuckling. "You would be okay to hang out with if you weren't a-", I cut myself off from finishing. I almost said leech. Not only would that have given away the fact that I'm not normal, it would have also completely given away the fact that I was a shifter. Only shapeshifters would call a Vampire a leech, it was a common nickname in our kind.

Josias raised his eyebrow, looking like he was mentally arguing with himself. "If I weren't such a jerk?" His words caused my body to relax, and I let out a small breath of relief.

I shook my head again, "Never mind."

He seemed even more inquisitive, and I wasn't sure if it was suspicion or interest that was evident within him. I hoped it was the latter. "No, tell me."

I forced out a chuckle, playfully slapping his arm that was only inches from mine on the sofa. "So, what do you do in your free time?"

It may have seemed as if I was changing the subject, which I slightly was; but I was more hopeful to find out any sort of information about the vampires.

Josias frowned, un-sure whether to drop it as I had. He sighed, "Nothing much. Sleep, eat, drink and repeat." I flinched when I heard the word drink.

These sort of things were exactly why shifters and leeches didn't socialize. I could barely hold a two minute conversation without slightly panting as I tried not to think about killing him, and that feeling of glory and virtue afterwards. I wandered if my constant snarky or mean remarks to him since I had met the leech was the only weapon I had against him, and now that I felt weapon-less I was starting to panic.

Josias is my friend, I repeated in my head. My palms were sweaty, and after a few seconds my heartbeat decreased and I stopped looking at him like he was a monster. I saw a normal boy who I needed some information from, and that was all.

He noticed my flinch; as I mentally berated myself, he was staring at me intently. When I finally noticed, my cheeks slightly burned at his strong stare. It could've been considered a gaze, but the harsh and vast curiosity and suspicion depressed the thought. Josias definitely knew something was up, he was staring at me with such insistence and fixation it was all to clear.

His shoulders suddenly bolted up, like he had finally figured out a puzzle he was working on for hours. "You're a witch!" Josias' loud and volatile words had me gasping and jumping in my seat.