Chapter 27 ~ Pains

© 2013 by Authorninja. All rights reserved.

Chapter 27 ~ Pains

 The numb pain was gone, and I could finally feel my legs. I jumped to my feet, after gaining my balance for a second I looked around and started to adjust to my surroundings.

 I scanned the dark alley, Harry was on the floor and Anna's body wasn't too far. I gasped, looking up at Jason and Charlotte who were panting as they stood over Anna's lifeless frame. I scanned Charlotte for any bite marks, and I let out a sigh of relief to see she was okay. I had already failed twice at protecting my friends from the dreaded bite that disgusted our kind, I didn't need it to happen again.

"What happened?" I was panting too, "I think I passed out."

I sat beside Harry, checking if he was okay. "Too much blood loss," Charlotte stated.

Jason cleared his throat, "I had to kill her. Anna was about to kill Charlotte, so I staked her back."

I nodded, "I understand. But what are we going to do now?"

Charlotte groaned, "We weren't supposed to kill any of the leeches from school until they found out about us. But somehow we've managed to kill two of them."

I sighed, it was true. We somehow had failed to not kill two Vampires, when it was supposed to be the easy part of the mission.

Jason shook his head, "They're going to get suspicious. We need to act, soon."

Charlotte snapped her head towards him, "You're right. I hate to admit it, but we have no choice now. We need to make a plan, to finally attack the leech royals. And fast."

I lowered my head, I had hoped we would have more time. "We hardly know anything."

Jason frowned, "True. But we developed a fake companionship with the leeches, we could easily find out information without them knowing. We could attack at the end of the month."

I nodded, "Yeah. That's what we'll do, we need to find out more about the royals and the leeches without them knowing. We still don't know the current location of the royals."

It was decided over one dead and one unconscious body, that we were finally going to do what we came here for.

--

"I don't get it. Why would Anna go to join Kevin without even telling us?" Ronald asked, looking as confused as Josias.

Charlotte shrugged, her charming smile still plastered on her face. "I have no idea. But all I know is she looked really worried and told me to tell you guys that she needed to find Kevin. Anna said not to worry, though."

It was a pathetic excuse, but we had hoped that the leeches would think that Anna had some Vampire reason to go. Charlotte was merely pretending to me a clueless mundane delivering a message.

All through this conversation, Peter was glaring at me from across the table. It wasn't obvious, but every time I caught his gaze I froze in my seat. He knew we were lying, and he knew that Anna was as dead as Kevin.

Margret looked perplexed, and she turned to me from the seat she was sitting on beside me. "It's so weird, I just can't believe she would do that." I gulped, hoping that she meant if figuratively and not that she didn't believe Charlotte's lie.

I gave her a comforting look, wrapping my arm around her shoulder as tears swelled in her eyes. It was strange to console a leech, but I had never felt any aggressive or harsh feelings towards Margret like I do to most other leeches. I guess being around those Vampires for so long made the desire to kill them lessen, which was something I was scared to think.

Harry pointedly stared at my contact with Margret, and his expression paled. I subtly pulled my arm away from Margret, wandering what came over me. If the elders saw that, I'd be dismissed from my slaying duties; let alone my duties as an empress.

What was I doing?

I ignored Margret's whimpering confusion after that, disregarding the need to comfort the innocent-looking girl.

But she isn't innocent. She's a leech and always will be. A masked monster.

I took in a deep breath, thankful for the ringing bell.

--

"I don't think I have any more patience to keep you alive," Peter sneered. "What did you do to Anna, creature?"

I paused, not liking the privacy we had in the broom closet.

"I don't know what you're talking about, leech." I made sure to look him directly in the eye, hoping to avoid his doubt.

Peter shook his head in bewilderment, turning away for a second. As quick as a flash, he was inches away from me with his fist smashed against the wall behind me.

I wasn't usually afraid of leeches, but the weakness I felt made me quiver in what must have been fear. "I know Kevin is dead, and the fact that your little friend said Anna was with him suggests that you killed Anna too. And to think-" He paused, averting eye contact as if he was truly pissed. "To think I actually thought you were starting to like us."

 "She attacked Harry. We had no choice," I stated with a glare. "Why the hell would I like you monsters when all you've done is drink blood from my friends and threaten to kill us?"

Peter just stood there, blankly staring at me for a whole minute. "You killed her?" He finally said, quietly.

"Anna was about to kill Charlotte after they saved Harry from her. Jason had no other choice but to stake her," I said it bluntly. I knew Peter was a heartless monster, so there was no reason to soften the blow.

He backed away a little, his face blank. "You shifters killed my sister."

I widened my eyes at this new detail, now sure that I was going to die.

"Anna was your-," I was cut off by another slam of the fist on the wall beside my head.

Peter was so close our noses were practically touching, and I was afraid that he could hear my shallow breaths just as I could hear his non-existent heart beat. Then I realized how stupid I was. Peter wouldn't have been the only one lying about his last name, he came from a highly-recognizable family line after all. I slightly wished he would've told me that he had siblings.

"I'll give you a week to pack up and leave," His quiet voice demanded. "If I see you or your pathetic troop again after that, I'll kill you."

With that, he turned and left me staring at the empty room in horror. 

And I hated to even think it, but I almost felt guilty.

~~

(A/N)

Remember to vote/comment!!

So the story is coming to the end, and I think there will be about ten chapters left- which is short considering the fact some may be more like a filler-chapter than others.

Just wanted you guys to know that I won't be writing the sequel straight after I finish this, I'm actually going to write horror that I've already planned and started- it's called The Steps and it's basically about a girl who has a new step family but she thinks they're murderers and is desperate to prove it.

Hope you had a good ChristmasxD AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!