Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It was Monday morning and time for school, until then Ariana had avoided Jax as much as possible. She was still embarrassed about what happened in the hallway and even before that she didn’t know how to address him. They shared dinner with the family and after that she didn’t see him anymore for the day. Julie had said he wasn’t very social but that also meant for those he lived with, Jackson Reed was the definition of loner

“Are you ready?” He asked, leaning by the front door as she stepped off the staircase.

Ariana decided to take a page out of his book and go with the flow; he didn’t seem bothered by the awkward memory so she wouldn’t be either. “Yeah let’s go.” She followed his lead to his black four door car. The ride had been simple enough, it took them ten minutes to get there and Ariana was glad for the ride. She couldn’t walk to school from their new house, it was almost five miles. She thanked him for the ride and rushed to meet up with Jolene and Laura, her best friends and only friends since grade school.

“Who’s the guy?” Jolene asked as the outspoken member of their small group.

“That’s my new step brother; remember I told you my mom remarried over the summer.”

“How’s that going?” Laura asked.

“It’s ok, Mitch is really nice and my mom is happy, his daughter Julie is thirteen and we hit it off really good.” Ariana explained.

“And the new brother?” Jolene probed. “He seems cute; I need a better look though.”

“He’s ok, he keeps to himself. That’s Jax Reed.” She knew her friends would remember him from the year before.

“Oh!” Jolene exclaimed excitedly. “His hair is longer I didn’t recognize him from all the way over here. He is so bad ass even the jocks are afraid of him. You live with him now?” Ariana nodded. “I hate you.”

Ariana had never seen her friend so smitten. “You have a boyfriend.” She felt she should point that out.

“Yes and we’re happy but that doesn’t mean I’m dead. I can window shop.” Jolene pointed out, rolling her eyes on cue.

“You’re nuts.” Laura said, shaking her head as they walked toward the entrance.

“Of course I am, look where I come from. My lovely mom named me after a Dolly Parton song for heck’s sake. I get to be loony and get away with it.” she took each of their hands. “It’s now official, our junior year, let the hell begin.”

Ariana didn’t hate her junior year until she saw who shared the locker next to hers; Charlie Lowell. He loved to tease her when he was bored and he was bored a lot.

“Hi Ariana,” he said, mocking in his tone. “You look pretty.”

Ariana glanced down at her A-line skirt, it fell just under her knees, there wasn’t much for him to see but she didn’t like that he was looking. “Did you want something?” she asked, scared. Last year he had managed to get her to do his book reports so he wouldn’t have to miss football practice.

“Oh course.” He said softly, brushing her hair off her shoulder.

Ariana jumped back. “Why won’t you leave me alone?”

“Because that’s no fun. You act like I’m some dirt on the bottom of your shoe and I’m sick of it.” he replied tightly, his brown eyes alive with anger.

Ariana didn’t want to get into a fight or draw attention to them but she was angry too. She was sick of being picked on because she didn’t act like everyone else or met their stupid expectations. There was but so much a girl could take and she had her fill last year. “You’ve never given me a reason to treat you any better. All you do is bully me and everyone else around here that doesn’t bow down to you and your friends. I don’t care how many games you’ve won or how hot you think you are.” She slammed her locker shut and walked away.

“You’re going to regret that Ariana Ellis!” he called out.

She hated to admit it but his threat worried her. Charlie always knew how to make her feel bad and now wasn’t any different. Without turning back she continued to her first class. She avoided her fellow classmate in each class they shared which so far was two. Ariana didn’t know how she was going to survive another year with Charlie Lowell on her case. He used to tease her endlessly but never had he attempted flirtation to make her uncomfortable. She didn’t like how he looked at her that morning or touched her hair. She shuddered at the memory.

By the time lunchtime rolled around Jolene had heard the whole story by word of mouth; they hadn’t shared any classes that semester. “You look stressed out. Don’t worry about it.” she advised as she and Laura sat across from their friend at the lunch table.

“I don’t know.” Laura said. “I saw how mad he was and in math he was shooting you daggers.”

Jolene slapped her arm. “Not helping.”

Ariana swirled a French fry in ketchup. “What’s the worst he can do? I end up doing his homework again or make up stupid jokes and laugh behind my back? Been there done that. He’ll get bored and move on to someone else.” She wanted to believe her words but Charlie was so damn ruthless. Her thoughts took a back seat when she noticed someone sat next to her.

“What’s going on?’ Jax asked. “You look tense.”

Before Ariana could open her mouth Jolene jumped in. “Charlie is giving her a hard time and she’s worried about his method of payback.” She spoke with a silly grin on her face; there was no mistaking how much she liked Jax.

“It’s no big deal.” Ariana groaned, she didn’t want the problem to become bigger than it was and by talking about it the gossip would never stop.

“Charlie hasn’t stopped staring at you since we sat.” Laura whispered, her tone was frantic as if the other shoe was going to drop any minute. She was quick to worry and over stress over the little things and the not so little things.

Ariana was quickly losing her will to eat the delicious fries in front of her. Her chest was tight, she didn’t want to face Charlie but she couldn’t look at Jax either. He kept confusing her, he liked to keep to himself yet here he was asking her what was wrong. Minding her manners she introduced her friends to her new step-brother.

“Hi.” Laura said shyly.

“Hello.” Jolene replied, dragging the word out as a new smile played on her lips.

“Nice to meet you.” Jax said politely then turned his attention to the girl beside him, he touched his hand to hers. She jumped and met his eyes with a million questions behind her own. “Don’t worry about Lowell.” He promised before walking away.

“What do you think that means?” Laura asked once he was far enough.

“I don’t care,” Jolene gushed. “Did you see how he was looking at you?” she said to Ariana. “I wish a man would look at me like that.”

“Like what?” Ariana was confused, that seemed to be happening a lot lately.

“Like he was hungry and you were dinner.”

Ariana sighed and picked up another fry. “You’re seeing things in that romance novel brain of yours. You like him so you’re creating this big fantasy. He said a few words and left, no big deal.”

“He promised you wouldn’t have to worry about Charlie, that sounds like a big deal.” Jolene countered.

“Our parents want us to get along and help each other out. He’s been trying to please his father and that’s why he gave me a ride to school and probably asked what was wrong. This is the most he’s ever spoken to me, it’s not like we’re new best friends.” Ariana explained and believed every word as she thought back to the last few days, her theory sounded like the best one.

The conversation dropped as their attention was diverted to the ‘popular’ table located more toward the center of the lunch room. Charlie stood as Jax neared the table, nothing could be heard but judging by Charlie’s expression he didn’t like what the senior bad boy had to say. Their chat lasted a few seconds more before Jax casually walked away, unfazed as he always seemed.

Charlie tightened his fists at his side and sank back into his seat. Ariana turned quickly away not wanting him to catch her watching. “Please tell me he’s not looking this way.”

“He’s not.” Laura asked with a sigh of relief.

Jolene chuckled. “Maybe there’s hope for this year yet.”