Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Marc left to meet with his second, Andrew.

Jax was left alone in the house with Jessica. It was awkward. That was a feeling he didn’t do well with. He didn’t know what to say to her. He knew if he even attempted to apologize for pushing her away she’d laugh in his face. She was stubborn, hard around the edges; she didn’t do well with emotion. She’s rather throw a punch than reveal anything from inside her heart.

He sucked it up and got up from the couch and went into the kitchen where she was getting some breakfast. “I’m sorry about the attack.”

“You said that already.” Her voice was tight, her back stiff as she stayed turned away. “We both got out ok.” It was always just her and her mom, her dad died before she was born. “So I heard congratulations are in order. You picked your mate. I’m mad at you for shutting me out but I am happy you found someone to let in.”

“Thanks. You know it wasn’t just you I stayed away from.” Jax felt like a jackass for hurting her for something that wasn’t even her fault. They were going to be sharing the same house and he wanted to clear the air before it got any more tense.

“I know but I was thirteen and I blamed myself and then I blamed you. It sucks being around all these big crowds at school and feeling completely alone.” She went to a private school while Jax went to public. “You were the only person that ever understood.” There weren’t a lot of young Weres around that associated.

Jax swallowed hard. “I’m here now.” he looked at the short girl before him and saw someone he cared for, someone he held in the same regard as Julie. They had been tighter than family once and right now he could use someone to lean on too.

She turned around and revealed her tearful brown eyes. “Thanks Reed.”

Ariana was seated in the living room with her book, the same one she couldn’t get off the first chapter with. Everyone else left to the movies. She had to cancel her date with Julie, she didn’t feel up to it and this time she couldn’t fake her way through it. Her mother had saved the day and offered taking her to the movies and if there was enough time they’d stop at the mall.

She was surprised when someone rang the doorbell. She got up to answer it with some hesitance. There was no one she wanted to see that wouldn’t already have a key. Over the last several hours she wished to see Jax. She wanted to slap him for putting her through this.

She didn’t know the man who stood on the other side of the door but oddly enough he remaindered her a lot of Jax. He was tall with the same intense blue eyes.

“Ariana?” he knew her name.

“Yes, who are you?”

“My name is Marc Reed and we need to talk.”

Her heart started to race, she was scared and intrigued at the same time. “You should probably come in.” she knew the man she was looking at was a werewolf, one she already knew it ran in Jax’s whole family and two he oozed power. “I haven’t heard about you before.”

He frowned, she wasn’t sure if it was an act or genuine. “That hurts my feelings. I’m heavy into our family…lineage and for safety reasons I don’t see my brother often. Jax came over today and told me about you.”

Ariana nodded, she was relieved to know where he had gone. “Is he ok?”

“A little brokenhearted but he’ll survive.”     

She couldn’t tear her eyes from his face. “You and he look a lot alike.”

He smiled and this time there was no question that it was real. “That happens every generation, we look a lot like my great grandfather who had blue eyes. Where is everyone?”

“Out at the movies.” Her heart raced and for the life of her she couldn’t figure out why. She was sure Marc made her very nervous.

A grin tugged at his lips that she could only describe as cocky. “Are you alright?”

He stepped forward and she stepped back. “Fine.” Her chest tightened as she was forced to look up into his eyes. He stood that close.

He ran his fingertips down the side of her cheek, his touch felt like licks of warm fire. “Do you love Jax?”

Her heart was a loud drum inside her skull. “Yes.” She felt herself melting inside whatever spell, aura, essence, he carried. “What are you doing to me?”

“I just need a few answers. You know how important it is to keep his secret, right? You wouldn’t want to see any of them hurt.” He said speaking of Jax, Mitch, and Julie.

“I would never betray them like that. I love them but….”

“You don’t appreciate being lied to. I understand that and Jax understands it, that’s why he wants to give you time to make your own decision without him around to influence it.” his hand dropped back to his side and he stepped away from her.

“He left without a word. On what planet does that help?” Ariana didn’t want to cry in front of Marc, she already made a big enough fool of herself with the way he had touched her.

“If you fall into bed every time you attempt to talk nothing will be resolved.”

Her face burned with embarrassment she hoped he didn’t see. “It’s not always like that, we have conversations.” What she felt for Jax wasn’t based on sex, the physical was simply a bonus. The long conversations they used to have in her room, the friendship they built, and the way he made her feel safe. That was why she loved him.

“Jax claimed you as his mate and because of that the attraction is even bigger, the pheromones in the air cloud the better judgment.” He explained, showing her that defending her relationship wasn’t needed.

Ariana walked over to the couch. While she had someone here with all the knowledge she didn’t have she wanted to take advantage and ask questions. “What does that mean? The whole mate thing?”

“You’re the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with.” Marc made that sound as simple as pie when it was anything but.

Arian’s head began to spin. “I’m seventeen. How am I supposed to decide this is it? It’s not that easy. My mom is in the dark about everything. Whatever I decide would impact her.” she knew she could spend the rest of her life with Jax and be satisfied, she couldn’t imagine loving another man but yet again love didn’t conquer all. There was so much more to consider.

“This has to be about you and him, no one else. You need to make the decision you can live with. Take the time you need because whatever you decide will be final. I’ll make sure he stays safe.” Marc walked over to the door as he said the last of his piece.

“Wait.” she got up and joined him at the door. “How do I get in contact with Jax?”

“He’ll find you.”