Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Ariana followed Jax to the second floor where his bedroom was. “You’re a permanent member of your uncle’s pack.” She said hoping she was getting the hang of this stuff. “Because you’re family?”

“Yes and because I agreed. After your first shift you decide if you want to be a lone animal or join up a pack. If you decide to join a pack and don’t know of one then you set out to find one willing to take you on but I had Marc and I don’t think there’s a better alpha out there.” Jax spoke with pride and love when his uncle was mentioned.

“I have a lot of questions.” Ariana warned as she joined him on the bed.

“Lay them on me.”

“Is your father apart of this pack too? And if so how does it work with him being older than Marc? Wouldn’t an older wolf be more dominate than a younger one?” It was getting hard to keep all her thoughts and questions straight in her head. Everyday so many new ones appeared.

Jax laughed. “You do have a lot of questions. Ok I’ll try to answer the best I can. No my father isn’t part of this pack. He has always chosen to be a lone animal even though the invitation to join a pack is always open to him.” he saw that was leaning to another question; he placed his hand over her mouth. “I know what you’re going to ask.  The decision made after your first shift isn’t written in stone, you can join a pack at anytime or decide to go lone at anytime.” She nodded indicating that he had gotten her question right. He moved his hand and kissed her.

Ariana pulled away and pinned his hands down to the bed. “You haven’t answered my other ones.” She tried not to laugh at the look of annoyance on his face. He looked like a kid who couldn’t go out to play.

“Being older doesn’t necessarily mean you can control a pack. It takes expert control over your own wolf and the others in the pack.” Jax explained, confirming what she had always guessed; Marc was one powerful guy.

“He wears his strength like a second skin.”

“He has to, it makes him who he is. There are wolves that are comfortable allowing someone else to lead and wolves that want to lead. Marc has always been a leader.”

“Are there other packs in this city and---”

“How do we coexist?”

“I told you I had a lot of questions.”

“I know babe.” He leaned in and kissed her again. “Yes there are other packs and we coexist because of agreements made between the alphas. Sometimes it doesn’t go well and we deal with it, other times we rely on each other. I know you want more detail than that but I don’t have it. Marc would be better to ask, you can try pestering him again.”

Ariana gasped and playfully punched him in the arm. “I didn’t pester; he offered his help and the books. I won’t ask you anything else until after I’ve read these books.”

“Thank you.” Jax said with an exaggerated sigh before pulling her on to his lap.   

Ariana indulged in a kiss before bracing her hands on his shoulders and pulling back to meet his eyes. “You’re crazy if you think I’m going to sleep with you in a house full of people with super hearing.”

Jax laughed. “I wasn’t even thinking about it.” he clearly lied. “Marc is probably done talking to Charlie, let’s go see how he’s doing.”

“Thank you for being so willing to help him trough this.”

“I took your advice and listened to what he had to say and I agree; the things he did and said before he wasn’t himself. He was fighting something much stronger than him. I don’t trust him a hundred percent but I’m willing to give him the chance to prove himself worthy of your friend.” He explained as they walked hand in hand down the hallway and staircase to the first floor.