Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Ariana met Jax in the parking lot and let him know she was staying late at the library. His blue eyes showed anger but he didn’t say anything, he nodded and left. She stood there and watched him go. She wished the world would open and swallow her whole but sadly there were still things that needed to get done. She slowly made her way back inside to the library.

“Wow did someone just run over your cat?” Charlie asked.

“I don’t have a cat.” She was sulking as she sat in her seat.

“It’s an expression, are you ok?” he watched as she sat at the table he picked and opened her backpack. “Jax didn’t take you staying late too well?”

“Let’s work on this.” she kept her eyes down.

“A blind man can see how he looks at you and how you look at him. It’s not the worse thing in the world, it’s actually common two step siblings in the same age would be attracted to each other.” He was trying to help but it wasn’t working, it was the opposite.

“I’m not talking about anything personal with you.”

“You need to talk to someone.”

“You’re wrong.” Tears burned her eyes. “My mom is happy for the first time in a long time; I wouldn’t ruin that for her.” she slap some folders on the table.

“Hey.” He reached and touched her hand. “I want to help.”

“Who are you? You’re like a brand new person and I feel like I’m on another world.”

He smiled. “Girls have told me that before.”

“And the jerk is back.”

“Sorry, do you really want to know what it is?” he wanted until she stopped messing with papers and looked at him. “I was going through a manic episode when school started and you were my target. I’m on some good meds now.”

“What does that mean?”

“I’m bipolar Ariana.”

That was about the last thing she expected him to say. As she thought of it, his personality changes and his highs and lows, it made sense. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, I’ve been dealing with it for awhile and…yeah.”

Ariana stared at him, she knew she was staring and couldn’t turn away, it was as if she was seeing him for the first time, there were no masks, no lies and walls, it was raw honesty. “I’m in love with him.” she blurted after realizing she could trust this Charlie, he was genuine.

He smiled. “I figured that. Good thing I dropped my crush on you and rather be friends.” he said with fake dramatic acting. “It wouldn’t have worked out anyway.”

If he wanted to make her feel better if was working, she laughed. “We would’ve killed each other.”

“And now we’ll never know. Does he know what you feel?”

“I keep pushing him away so probably not.” She started organizing her supplies again. She didn’t want to surrender her thoughts to Jax and find herself crying again.

 “Have you told your friends?”

“No, why?” She hadn’t talked to Jolene about Jax anymore since that day at school, as far as she knew it was a one sided one time crush.

“I just wanted to know if I was the first person confided in, I’m honored.”

“What is going to stop you from telling the whole school?”

“We’re friends now and I don’t want to screw that up.”

“Let’s work on this before we’re kicked out.” They had their project but that wasn’t due until after the holiday break, for now they were working on tomorrow’s math homework. An hour into it she was losing patience. “You can do this is if you focus.”

“Math just isn’t for everyone.”

“Math is a formation of numbers made into a puzzle. With simple planning and structure every problem is solved.” Ariana explained and realized he was staring at her like she was nuts. “You asked for my help.”

“You enjoy this way too much.” He shook his head and looked back at his homework then at her again. “I have to get home before my mom does.”

“Oh ok. What are you going to do?”

“I’ll try to figure out the answers later.” He stood and gathered his stuff. “I can give you a ride home on the way.” He knew the buses were gone and so was her previous ride with Jax.

“Yeah, thanks.” She stood and quickly gathered her things as well while wondering what got him so antsy all of a sudden. He mentioned it was his mom, would she be upset if he was late? Something told her there was another reason and something he was still keeping to himself.  In the car she asked, “Do you want to try again tomorrow?”

He shook his head no. “I don’t have anytime to spare after practice. I have to be home.”

“Do you want to study at your place?” she wanted to slap herself as the words left her mouth, why the hell would she offer that? There was something about Charlie and his hidden demons that was bothering her, she wanted to help and helping him with school work was a start it seemed.

“No that’s ok.”

This was worrying her; he was very blunt about wanting to spend time with her but the prospect of seeing his home life scared him. She knew how to recognize fear. “Are you sure? The coach is informed when a member of the team is failing. You won’t be able to play if you keep skipping out on homework.”

He ran one hand through his short hair as he used the other to drive. He sighed and gave it some viable thought. “Alright, then we can study tomorrow but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Ariana unbuckled her seatbelt as they reached her house. “Thank you for the ride.” She grabbed her things and left the car.

This time as she arrived Julie was on the front porch. “Was that Charlie Lowell?”

Ariana’s eyebrow rose. “How do you know that?”

“Lynn’s older sister goes to your high school and she is always gushing about him. I saw a picture, he’s so cute.”

Ariana made a face, she didn’t want to hear Julie talking about boys anymore then Jax did. She was far too young. “I guess. I’m tutoring him.”

She gasped loudly. “Lucky.”

“Not really. Just because a guy might be cute doesn’t make him perfect, there’s more to it. You should feel safe with him, have things in common. Your heart should race when he’s around.” Ariana explained before she realized what she was saying. She wanted Julie to slow down with her crushes but she didn’t mean to confess so much.

“Who makes you feel like that?” the younger girl asked softly.

“No one, that’s just how I hope it’ll be.” she smiled weakly and hoped that was a good cover for her earlier mistake. “I have to get some homework done.”

“I can’t wait for this week to be over and the holiday break starts.” It seems everyone wanted a break from school. Ariana was scared for the break because she’d be home more and that was more hours she had to avoid Jax. She didn’t know how long this could keep going before something gave, when a day would come and it’d be easy to get through.

AN: Thanks for much for the love everyone, keep it coming and don't forget to vote. Again thank you for the support.