Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Ariana’s mother wasn’t thrilled with the news that her daughter was madly in love with her stepbrother but thankfully she honored her wish and didn’t push for them not to see each other.

They had to leave to her father’s house before they could talk anymore. On the drive she noticed her mother was tense but she put on a smile and brave front. Ariana knew it’d take time for her mother to be accepting but for now this was enough. After visiting with her father the first thing she was going to do was call Jax and let him know how much she loved him and she was in this for the long haul. Much like her mother she was trying to come to terms with everything about Jax’s life but she knew it’d be easier if they were together.

“I’ll be back in a few hours but if you want to come home sooner let me know.” Mary said as they pulled in to her father’s driveway.

Ariana laughed and tried not to let her parent’s dislike of each other sour the mood. “I haven’t seen dad in weeks. I’ll stick out.” They got out of the car together and hugged each other. “What’s Julie’s surprise?” she asked as she wondered what they’d be doing while she was gone.

“Ice skating rink.”

“Have fun.”

“You too mom and thanks.”

That brought a smile to Mary’s face. “For what?”

“For being you.” They hugged again before parting ways. Her father was already outside waiting. “Hey dad.”

“Hey princess, how was last night ringing in the New Year?” he wrapped his arm around his daughter and led her inside.

“Fuck.” Marc swore as the front door shut and they were left trying to figure out this mess. “That’s her father?” he directed the question Jax even though they all heard Ariana address the man as ‘dad.’

Jax’s head was spinning. “I’ve never met him before but all the proof is lining up.” he looked at Jessica. The answers were written all over her face, there was no doubt the man they had seen with Ariana was the hunter. “What do I do?” he thought out loud.

“You mean what do we do.” Marc sighed. “I like the girl but I can’t ignore who her father is and neither can you. I spoke to her for a long time, she didn’t know anything about us so it’s safe to say she doesn’t know about her father either. We need to get out of here and talk more at home.” he was the first to stand.

Jax felt like a zombie as he followed his uncle down the street to where the car was hidden. Ariana’s father was a hunter

Hunters were trained officials who killed supernatural creatures. They weren’t average people who decided to start hunting down the creature like you were used to reading in books or seeing in movies. They were evil. He closed his eyes tight and tried to shake the image of his mother dying and the sound of her screams.   

Marc clamped his hand tight onto Jax’s shoulder. “Breathe kid.”

The car ride was quiet, everyone’s thoughts and fears took up all the space. Back at the cabin Marc went to his office to figure out a strategy while Jax stayed with Jessica in the living room.

It was a good five minutes later when she spoke. “I’m sorry for your mate but we have to kill him.”

Jax’s eyes snapped to her face. “Don’t say that.” His heart ached for Ariana, he already made a mess out of her life with his secrets and lies. He didn’t know how to deal her another blow.