Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Have you thought about what happens if our parents catch us together this late?” Ariana asked as they took up their positions on the bed; her under the covers and him above them.

“No because we won’t get caught. I’m careful.” Jax answered with no doubt in his voice as they laid side by side. “How was school?” they hadn’t had a chance to talk that day.

“Charlie keeps shooting daggers with his eyes but he still hasn’t said or done anything. Maybe I’m wrong and he’ll drop the whole thing and forget I exist.” Silence hung in the air as she thought about her next question. Did she have a right to ask? Even if they were friends some things were personal. “I heard you had a date tonight.” She stared up at the ceiling in the dark and hoped she didn’t sound accusing. He didn’t have to tell her everything.

“It’s not big deal.”

“But still, I’d tell you if I had a date. We’re friends and we live together.” She didn’t understand why it bothered her not to know, why the fact if Jax was keeping something to himself in her mind it meant he didn’t trust her. Or why the fact him hanging out with another girl rubbed her the wrong way. 

“It wasn’t a big deal.” He said again. “If it was I would’ve told you.”

“Does that mean you’re not going out with her again?”

“Yeah.”

Ariana was getting annoyed. “Why?” normally it didn’t take this much to get Jax to talk.

“You’re not going to like the answer so let’s drop it.”

“That’s a cop out if I’ve ever heard one. Fine I won’t say anything if you tell me.” Ariana reasoned while she tried to think of something she wouldn’t like from Jax. They had talked about everything under the sun this last week and gotten as close as friends could, she knew him almost as well as she knew Jolene and Laura.

Jax sighed and propped himself up on his elbow to look down into her eyes. “While I was on that date I couldn’t stop thinking about how I would rather spend time with you.”

“Ok,” Ariana said slowly. “What’s so wrong about that?”

He smiled softly. “You know the answer to that.”

Her heart started to race at a familiar fast pace. “Jax are you hitting on me again?” it suddenly became hard to look into those dark blue eyes above her and the fact they were laying close together became apparent. It was ok as long as they were friends because it didn’t mean anything but now if he was thinking about more this was….very, very wrong.

“No,” he laid back down. “I wouldn’t dream of it.” a minute of awkward silence passed. “But what if I was?”

“Jax…”

“I’m joking relax.” If he tried to sound like he was joking his tone fell flat.

Ariana groaned and sat up. “I don’t believe you.”

Jax joined her in the middle of the bed after turning on the near by lamp.  “Or you don’t want to. I think you like me but you’re too chicken to admit it.”

“Chicken? No I’m mentally sane unlike you.”

“Meaning what? You do like me but you know it’s wrong to admit it so you don’t?”

Ariana froze as she realized she had stuck her foot in her mouth when she didn’t deny liking him first. “No.” words suddenly escaped her, she knew she should tell him to go back downstairs and end this night but deep down she didn’t want him to go. Deep down she wanted to spend as much time with him as he wanted with her.