Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Jax’s uncle requested that he come along on a surveillance trip that following morning. It was New Year’s Day but there was still work to be done. Evil knew no holiday.

“Who are we scoping out?” Jax asked as Jessica joined them in the living room.

She answered. “The hunter who targeted me and mom. We got a tip about where he lives.” there was anger all over her face.

Jax turned to Marc. “Should she be coming?” he didn’t have to say it for his uncle to understand his concern. This was all personal for Jessica and she might led her anger lead her into a mistake.

“She’s the only one who got a look at his face.” Marc shrugged and didn’t let the situation bother him because there was no changing it.

With nothing else to say the trio piled out the front door down to the driveway.

“Almost ready?” Mary Ellis asked at her daughter’s bedroom door.

Ariana nodded. “We still have time before I have to be at dad’s.” her mother would be dropping her off at her father’s house to spend the day with him. She was excited, she loved and looked up to her father but with that excitement was a ball of nerves. She vowed to tell her mother the truth about Jax and anyone else who asked.

“Ok.” Mary said slowly as she stepped into the room. “Is there something you want to talk about?” she knew the look across Ariana’s face well.

“Yeah.”

“I noticed how tense you were last night. You know sweetie I’m here to help you with whatever you need. Is something bothering you?”

Ariana tried not to let the guilt render her speechless. She had to be strong and honest. She owed it to Jax and the love between them. “Yes something is.” She took a deep breath and looked down toward her hands. It was easier not to face her mother’s eyes head on. “I miss Jax.”

“Oh.” The shock was clear as day inside her voice. “I know you two have gotten close and---”

It was now or never. She had to say it before she chickened out or the words suffocated her. Either way the time was now and not a second later. “I have feelings for him.”

Ariana had expected her mother’s eyes to go wide and she demand how such a thing could’ve happened but instead the older woman smiled. “It’s about time you admit it. Anyone can see you have a crush on him. Julie is smart but not that smart; I noticed how she’s been trying to set you up.”

Ariana felt better but not by much. There was still a lot more to say and she was sure her mother didn’t know it all. “Mom it’s not just feelings. You’ve noticed a crush and probably so has Julie but….” She hated the tears that fell from her eyes, she wanted to be strong. “I love him.”

Mary went completely still. “What does that mean? Does he know?” the teasing lift to her voice was gone and replaced by confusion.

“Yes.” She took a shuddering breath. “We’ve been seeing each other in secret.”

“Oh my...” Mary placed her hand over her mouth before she could utter another word. She sat that way for minutes to come. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“I was scared. You and Mitch are married; we’re all family and live together. I tried to fight it but I couldn’t. I love him and it’s not some teenage puppy love thing, it’s real and I can’t take the lies anymore. I need him.” Ariana felt some of the weight lift from her shoulders but the tightness around her heart was still there, maybe stronger. There was still too much of the unknown to face. She feared everything that came next.

“I should’ve known something like this would happen. You’re two young adults living in the same house.” It sounded like she blamed herself.

“Mom…” Ariana wanted the perfect words to explain what she felt and how it didn’t matter how it all came to be. “I want you to be happy. I want you to support me but if you can’t I understand too but I can’t run from it anymore.” Marc’s words echoed in her head. She had to do what was right for herself and no one else. It was the only way she could breathe again.

Mary shook her head and she stood and began to pace. “You both are too young to get into something this serious. You do live under the same roof and if something goes wrong it’ll drive a wedge between the family. Have you considered that?”

“Everyday.” Ariana was riddled with what ifs but none of them changed what she felt. “I tried ignoring what was happening but it didn’t work. I’d rather be with Jax even for a little while than never at all. I want you to be ok with this.”

Mary sat back down on the corner of the bed. “It doesn’t sound like I have much of a choice. You’ve already made yours.”

“It became clear last night. He left because I couldn’t make up my mind and these last two weeks I’ve been in hell. I can’t do it anymore, please don’t ask me to.”

Jax thought back to the last time he had tagged along on one of Marc’s surveillance missions. He was ten years old and thought he was a super spy as they moved along the trees and had to be very quiet.

That’s how it was now, everything was very still and quiet. Jessica was grimacing the whole time, her eyes sharp and focused as she followed Marc’s steps. 

Marc had learned from one of his many human informants the address they were staring at. This person fit the description of what they were looking for and hopefully Jessica could ID this man as the hunter who led the attack on her house or they’d be back at step one.

All three of them had their eyes trained on the house waiting for the man to show his face. Marc didn’t want to take a more drastic step like breaking in to the man’s house in case they were wrong. The police would only cause bigger problems.

Jax let his thoughts flutter close to his mind’s eye. He thought of Ariana and what she was doing. Was she in bed reading? Getting a head start on some school work? Whatever it was, he wished he was by her side for it. Something as mundane as studying for a test sounded like heaven as long as he could be with her.

His heart literally hurt as he thought back to how she ignored him last night. Every time their eyes would meet she’d quickly look somewhere else. He hoped wherever she was she knew that he loved her and detested the thought of them being apart for another day.

“We have movement.” Marc said softly from Jax’s left side, they were all scattered across the street in the surrounding trees.

Jax watched the car pulling into the driveway. It looked very familiar. He couldn’t understand why until the passengers got out; Mary and Ariana.

Jax looked at his uncle and noticed how tense his shoulders became. They both shared the same fear. It was Jessica who voiced it by cursing. “Shit. What are they doing here?” she came closer to where they were huddled.

“They rang the doorbell.” Marc said before addressing Jessica. “He’ll answer and you tell me if it’s the hunter you saw lighting the fire.” It didn’t take long for her to confirm what they all suspected.

Jax felt the fist of fear around his heart. This couldn’t be happening. The hunter they were tracking was Ariana’s father.