Chapter 43

Chapter 43

After school Ariana went with Jax back to his uncle’s cabin which was now his home. She didn’t like that they weren’t sharing the same house anymore, yes she understood it but didn’t like it and what she didn’t like the most was the lack of privacy. She knew everyone in the cabin was a werewolf and they could hear a pin drop in a room blaring loud music. It made her a paranoid mess.

“Are you ok or still stressing out about what comes tomorrow?”

With a sigh she turned and stared at him. “Do you think about it? Where do we go from here?”

“I think everyone tries to figure out tomorrow but I’ve learned planning is for fools because you have to leave room for the unknown.”

“Are you calling me a fool?”

“You know I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I know but I was trying to be funny.” She pouted.

“Humor isn’t your strong suit.”

“What is?” Ariana was getting used to the heat shift in the air when he was aroused, he always ran hot but when his mind drifted to the impure the heat could be felt all around you. She rather liked it. “I can’t be late going home today.” She warned before he got any ideas that would have them occupied for hours to come. There was never such a thing as a quickie between them and she’s learned that the hard way over the last several weeks.

“You’re right.” He wasn’t thrilled about it. “You have to help Charlie and I have some stuff to discuss with Marc but let it be known I’d rather be anywhere naked with you.”

“Duly noted.”

At the cabin they went separate ways.

After being told by Jessica Marc was upstairs working in his office he rushed up there. All day at school he couldn’t stop thinking about an idea to help Ariana’s father. It went against him to feel such a thing for a hunter but he loved her and had to on some level put up with her father.

Marc was writing on a notepad when he stepped in. “I heard you running though the staircase.”

“Yeah well.” Jax didn’t know what to say, they both knew why he was there and how anxious he was. 

“I went with Charlie and picked up all his things. Afterward he helped me with a project.”

Jax went and sat in the empty couch. “And?”

“The hunter shouldn’t come bothering us for some time to come.”

Jax felt his heart drop. “What did you do?” it was wrong to second guess the alpha but before Marc was his alpha he was his uncle and he knew they didn’t need barriers of respect between them.

“I didn’t harm the man.” He looked up from whatever he was focused on across the desk. “I decided I didn’t have the heart to shake up your father’s marriage or to break Ariana’s fault by her learning her father was dead. I threw him off our course; he’s currently chasing useless leads out of state.” He explained, finishing it off with a shrug. He didn’t like to be too open about his feelings and wouldn’t explain it further than what he had said.

“Thank you.”

“There will come a time we’ll have to face this again but hopefully with this window we can figure it out better. I think you need to tell Ariana the truth about her father.”

Jax shook his head. “I don’t know how to. She loves him, she quotes him every other day when she’s focused on a plan or something like that. If I told her what he did for a living and the pain he’s responsible….” His heart ached at all the different possibilities.