Chapter 26

Isabelle’s P.O.V.

The campfire gave off a reassuring glow ad warmed my skin as I once again checked over Dylan’s wounds. He had scratches all over his body, although that isn’t very surprising considering what he did, the one on the back of his neck though terrifies me, it’s deep and angry looking and I cant help but cringe as I change the dressing.

“That bad huh?” I didn’t think I had been that obvious.

“Well it isn’t pretty but it is healing nicely.” I run my fingers down his back and trace the marks from battles past. He has quiet a few scars, each I’m sure has a story behind it, a fight or something, and I find myself hoping one day I’ll know them all.

“So what happened?”

“What do you mean?” I answer absentmindedly while working at his neck wound.

“Well I don’t remember how we got out of that fight or how it ended. So what happened?” The rest of our pack that had been sat talking amongst themselves fall silent.

“You were amazing and borderline terrifying.”

“Your mind went totally blank and I couldn’t get you to follow orders.” Drake chipped in.

“You were like a wolf possessed. You took on the Alpha and at one point they had you at three against one but you couldn’t be stopped. You brought them down. It was ferocious and then when you realised it was over you came over to me, I have to admit I was scared, but you came over gently pulled me down to the floor and flopped next to me exhausted, growling at anyone who dared get close right up until you passed out” I could tell by his facial expression that this story wasn’t ringing any bells at all, his wolf was in control for all of this. I’m not surprised about the last bit, I have learnt all about wolves and mates, he would have wanted to make sure his mate was safe even when injured himself, if anyone who had attempted to move me he would have acted regardless of the state he was in.

“Did we find out who they were? Or why they attacked?”

“Unfortunately no, you didn’t leave us any hostages, only two of them survived and they managed to get away from the twins sometime in the excitement. Did we really have to kill them all?” Commented Eric dryly. We just stare at him, has he forgotten that they ambushed us, that they were taking no mercy on us and he wishes we had spared their lives. Sure someone to question would have been nice but I’d rather we all get out alive than go out of our way to keep one of them alive. He continues like nothing is amiss with what he just said. “Now can we eat? It’s been a long day and I’m starving.” He shrugs his shoulder and turns away to face the fire. The twins jump into action preparing whatever they had caught this evening to eat, they talk less and less these days and when they do it’s usually something sarcastic so I don’t complain. The group once again falls into silence.

“Is there a stream or something nearby?” Today’s meal was less than appetising, I mean you don’t see squirrel on a normal menu do you? After today I just wanted to clean up a bit and try to make myself feel even remotely human.

“Yep, if you walk through the trees right behind me and continue straight you’ll be able to use your enhanced hearing to pick it up, follow that and you’ll find it no problem.” My mouth drops open, one of the twins, whichever it is, just said something…helpful.

“Erm… thanks.” I say getting to my feet.

“I’m coming with you.”

“Dylan sit. I’m going for a wash, I’m covered in dirt and blood… most of it not mine. I can do this alone. Besides you can barely move.”