Him Me and the Dead Man on the Floor

I felt my body being shaken roughly. I desperately wanted to slap whoever it was for thinking they could just manhandle someone lying on the ground with blood running down their face. My eyes fluttered slightly and the shaker paused. " Jessica." I slowly peeled my eyes open taking in the sight before me. Joseph and the man with whitish hair were kneeling over me eyes wide. " What the hell happened to you?" Joseph said to me. I shook my head and shut my eyes tight the darkness was much better than looking up into the lights.

" The lights. Turn them off please." I whispered.

"Turn them off Matthias." He said softly.

I felt his arms slip underneath my body and then I was lifted in the air. I opened my eyes and looked into his eyes. He looked furious. He set me down on the bed and sat next to me. He pushed the hair that was stuck to my face away. I closed my eyes when he started running his hands through my hair.

"Matthias."

" Yes nephew." I almost giggled at the older mans immediate obedience. I only let a small smile tug at the corners of my mouth.

" Go find the doctor. I'm fairly certain she had a concussion."

I opened my eyes and watched Matthias leave and close the door behind him. " Who did this to you little one." He leaned in closer to me. I gulped and shook my head.

" I can't." I whispered and turned my head away.

"You have no need to be afraid. Whoever it was that touched you will be severely, punished." His voice got lower and lower, almost to the point of growling.

"No you don't understand she'll just find someone else, and I can't turn her in."

He cupped the side of my face and kept his hand moving through my hair. It was making it hard to breath and combining that with the pain in my ribs I was groaning in pain. "What? What is it little bird. What hurts?"

I had never seen him this soft before. I had never really heard him give any terms of endearment to anyone. He was always strictly professional. Except last night. He called me little one. I wondered if he called everyone that. If that was just normal for him.

"I- my side hurts. And my head hurts too I guess." I mumbled and fixated my gaze on his nose not wanting to look into his eyes.

He nodded and opened his mouth to say something more when 2 knocks sounded on the door and then light streamed into the room.

She watched the doctor scan the room, noticing the puddle of blood on the floor, and then with wide eyes saw the boss and I sitting together with his hands on my face. I blushed and looked to the side avoiding the doctors gaze.

Joseph slowly stood up. "I'm fairly certain that she has a concussion and broken ribs. I want you to see the extent of the damage and then I want to be updated on her condition." Joseph said. I watched him leave the room without looking at me again. I frowned in disappointment. I thought that that meant something.

" Don't worry love. I'll get you all fixed up." He had a kind warm smile that made me relax and trust him immediately. "My name is Ralph. I'm a doctor here. I'm going to shine this in your eyes alright." I internally groaned. He turned his flash light on and shined the beam into my sensitive eyes. I held back any noise I might have made and looked side to side as instructed.