Queen of the Castle

I could feel the pain radiating from my shoulder through out my body before I could see, hear, or feel anything else. I was lying down that I could tell, but I was jostling everywhere. Up, down, left, right.

My mind was running frantically in all directions as well, but I couldn't consciously move any of my limbs. My eyelids felt like they were super glued to my cheeks. As much as I hated the paralyzed feeing that was overwhelming my brain, another part of me relished in the fact that I didn't have to deal with anything anymore. I didn't have to think about anything other then the piercing pain running through my arm. I didn't have to think about the horrifying nightmares I had had every night, I didn't have to think about my father dying, not about me being kidnapped then running for my life. Everything in the world I knew was waiting for me was shut out. At least for a little while.

As I lay frozen in place my senses slowly started returning. The first being smell. For starters it smelled like the locker room did back in school. Sweat and strangely enough I caught a whiff of popcorn.

The second things came simultaneously. Hearing and touch. My body felt cold but my hands were sweating probably adding to the awful smell in.. wherever I was. People were whispering in hushed tones all around me. The voices after concentrating on them began to freak me out. I could her the voices but my brain couldn't process what the words meant.

The last thing to return to me was sight. My eyelids felt like led as I dragged them open. I was almost tempted to let them fall back closed, but the moment I opened them my eyes locked with dark green ones. His eyes were dark and red. I frowned and took in the rest of the room breaking our eye contact.

Everyone was sitting around me shoulder to shoulder. Watching me as I slept. Ummm. Ok. I guess that's why it smelt so bad. It was hot as hades in here and they were all sitting basically on top of each other. Despite my pain I couldn't help but laugh at the creepy sight around me. Honestly what else was there to do.

I sounded like an old smoker because I hadn't spoken in so long but the longer I laughed the more people joined in until everyone around me was watching me and at the very least chuckling. My eyes wandered back around to Joseph who was the closest to me, sitting by my side holding my hands in his. That explained why they were so warm. He didn't laugh, but I could see the small smile there. The smile faded slowly from my face.

"Thank god your awake." He sighed and lifted my hand up to his mouth and kissed my knuckles. "I was so worried."

"We were so worried." My head swiveled to the person that had said that.

"Trevor." I smiled at him and nodded my head in acknowledgment.

"Joseph, Trevor.." I paused and coughed, my dry throat had about had it with this whole talking thing.

"Someone get her a water bottle." Joseph commanded. Immediately his order was obeyed.

"Sir." He was handed the water bottle 10 seconds after he asked for it.

He took it and unscrewed the cap as he brought it to my lips. "Here drink." His left hand slid under my back and helped hold my weak body up as I struggled to drink the water. After I'd drank half of it I pulled my head back. My stomach didn't want to let anything else in.

"As I was saying, Trevor saved my life. If it wasn't for him I would probably be dead. I said I'd put in a good word." I winked at Trevor and smiled at Joseph.

He huffed his reaction made it obvious he didn't like that I was giving attention to anyone other than him. "Yes I am aware." He mumbled. "He'll be rewarded for his bravery." He leaned in close to my ear and whispered so only I would be able to hear. "I know he's the hero of the day, but don't replace me with him. It wouldn't go over well." He sat back into his original position.