Intruder Alert

I stared frozen. I didn't blink, I didn't breathe, and I didn't move. I felt like a gazelle being taunted by a lion before it pounces. He opened his mouth to speak again but was silenced my his phone ringing. He groaned and pulled the device of of his suit pocket. "What?!" He growled. I stood still in his arms. The person on the other end spoke and I felt Joseph's arms tense around me. "Ok." He responded and then hung up the phone. "We'll continue this later." He held eye contact for a moment before walking away, leaving me alone on the dance floor.

I blinked and shook my head. It felt cloudy. Moved slowly off the dance floor and avoided the other dancing couples. Finally made it through the crowd of people and back over to the drinks bar where the night had started.

"I see he got tired of you." I looked to my right to see Mandy and a few other girls laughing at me including my dear step sister.

I blushed. "No he got a call and had to go." I mumbled. I wished that I sounded more confident the moment after I said anything.

"I think he faked the call just to get away from you." She said and the others nodded their heads in agreement.

I shrugged and took a sip of my drink. "Maybe, but I think the real question is, why wasn't he dancing with you if you're his date?" I patted her shoulder as I walked away leaving a fuming Mandy and a very stunned group of girls.

I made my way towards the exit keeping my head down so people knew I wasn't in the dancing mood. I felt a hand clamp down on my wrist and I groaned out loud.

"Jessica?" I frowned. "My baby girl." I whipped around and there he was. My father in all his glory. Only problem was Jocelyn was there too.

"Dad!" I flung my arms around him not caring about the people staring. "What are you doing here?" I asked with my arms still around him.

"Honey I'm an executive in one of Joseph's businesses. Second to the VP. You didn't think he wouldn't invite me to his party did you?" He chuckled.

"I didn't know you held such a high position. All I knew was that you worked for Joseph." I shrugged. "But I'm glad because you get to be here."

"Where's Olivia Jessica? I haven't been able to see her yet." Jocelyn asked me.

My first thought was how should I know bitch we aren't friends, but I refrained myself and politely responded I didn't know.

"Hmm, I'm going to go find her dear." She told my father then left without another word.

"Ok honey." He said that then turned back to me. "So show me where you're staying. Where you spend your time." He smiled and I shrugged.

"Alright. I'll show you my room first." We walked out of the huge room and into the dark hall. The same guard was standing there. I winked at him. "Hey this is my dad, Gavin. Dad this is Gavin." I smiled at him. They shook hands and said hello and then we were on our way.

We talked about my stay here so far and I told him all the details except for the ones about Joseph and I's personal encounters and the run in I had with Olivia and her new boyfriend. He listened and I just talked until there was nothing more to tell. "So how's Tiffany?"

"She's doing good I'm taking her to school before I head to work in the morning. It's actually good I've been able to spend time with her. She misses you though. Always wondering when you're coming home." He said softly.

"Yea I wonder that too." I whispered.

We walked in silence the rest of the way to my room. It was awkward to say the least.