Understanding

"What do you want?" I whispered. He stared me down.

"Look at me." His voice held so much authority I couldn't help but lift my eyes to meet his. He walked towards me and I cowered back until my back hit a wall. He kept coming at me and all I could think of was him pulling the trigger with no remorse whatsoever. " You have no need to ever fear me Jessica. I will never hurt you." His voice was softer this time.

He was standing about a foot away from me and I prayed he wouldn't come any closer. "Why do you care whether or not I am afraid of you or not. I thought you liked it when people were scared of you." I whispered the last part afraid of angering him.

"I do." He said roughly. He took a step closer slowly, almost like he was coming towards an abused animal and didn't want to scare it off. Despite his actions I still shrunk back not wanting him to be close to me anymore.

It seemed weird that this whole week I was looking for him, wanting him to hold me again and then in a matter of seconds he made me repulsed by his presence once again.

"You don't know the whole situation or you wouldn't be reacting this way." He ran a hand through his hair and started pacing the room.

"Then tell me the whole story." I said slowly, not completely sure that I really cared what the story was. Murder was murder.

"I can't." He turned around abruptly. "Your just one of the girls. I shouldn't have brought you here. You don't belong here I don't know why I did it." He continued.

I stood there silently while he tried to gather his thoughts. I waited for him to say something, explain, but it never happened. he just started pacing again.

"Would you say something please. Or if your not going to can I leave?" I said trying to not listen to the continuous sound of his shoes hitting the floor.

" No." He turned his attention to me. He stared for a moment then sighed. "Come with me." He strides out of the room assuming I would follow.

I considered my options quickly in my head. I could stay or I could go. Both would have consequences, but I was going out on a whim and guessing that choosing not to go would land me in more trouble than following. So that's what I did. I followed him all the way to his office and even let him shut the door behind me.

"Ok. Now what." I leaned up against the door so I could make a quick escape if the need arose.

"The man I shot earlier.." He ignored my question. "I found out a few days ago that he was part of another mob in Arizona." He looked at me and studied my face to see if I cared or not. "Normally I would just have one of my guys kill him and be done with it. But this particular mob is... Different." He trailed off zoning out.

"Different how Joseph?" I asked curiously.

"They're called Red Edge. They're ruthless, and barbaric, but none of their men are loyal. They take bribes and pay offs. That.." He gritted his teeth together. "Is the only reason they're not at the top. The only reason they're not running the country. Sitting where I am." He stayed quiet for a couple minutes before speaking again. "They kidnapped my mother. They tortured her and when they were done they sent her back to us in pieces." He whispered.

I almost threw up. All over his fancy rug. The image of that would forever be engraved in my brain.

"It broke my father." He went on. "He was crazy. He couldn't stop looking for them. He didn't sleep, he didn't eat, never stopped working, until one day he didn't come home." His voice was hard and cold and held no trace of the emotion that it had when he spoke about his mother. "He left me with this crumbling empire that he had almost destroyed. Putting all the pressure of rebuilding on my shoulders instead of taking it like a man."