Not so Lonely

------------ Ryoga

Memories can be very peculiar. Good ones can fill you with plenty of joy, but also such sadness. That's what I felt entering the old house.

I remembered a loud and happy home. Mom and dad eating with me at the table and telling me stories at night.

Now however, it was so quiet and empty. Was this really the same place? I must have been here at least one time before. It was familiar to some degree.

But, it made me feel like curling up into a small ball. Even with Ranma and her father, this place was just... something? I don't how to describe it.

Even as I laid there, listening to the breathing of my guests, I was not there. Or something along those lines. Instead I was soaring through the dark sky, the earth far below me. It was such a nice night.

"Ryoga?" The happy chime of my name. It would be just like Akane to invade my dreams. That was a common thing.

But, when I turned to smile at my companion, I saw Ranma instead. It caught me by such surprise, that I began falling to the earth.

Ranma made a startled cry and grabbed my hand, halting my decent.

"You idiot." Ranma shook her head. "I shouldn't be such a surprise to you."

I regained my flight, letting go of Ranma's hand. My face feeling flushed. "Why are you here Ranma?"

"Why? Isn't the answer obvious?" She paused, waiting for my response. I didn't give one. I didn't know why she was invading my dreams.

Sighing, she spoke again. "Clearly, you called me here. Some part of your mind wanted to see me."

"Why would I want to see you. I was hoping for Akane." I said, though I wasn't trying to be rude.

"Gee, thanks." Ranma said, clearly annoyed.

"Sorry, it's just weird that you're here." I said. A halt on her hand, but I still waited for her response. However, when I looked back, Ranma was gone.

I slowed, feeling a little empty now. Then I was in front of the house again. It looked more warped now though. The grass was taller, the windows cracked. Like the house out of a horror movie. I felt a warm hand on my shoulders and soft words in my ears.

"Welcome home, Ryoga." Ranma's voice echoed. Suddenly, the house wasn't so dark. Livable almost. Because of Ranma? Was that why I was having dreams about her? Because I was thankful to her?

Yeah, that was probably it.

I sat up in bed as morning light streamed through the one window in the room. I blinked, looking around. Ranma was standing, her arms stretched above her head. However I also noticed one other thing about her in that instance.

"Ranma!" I said, quickly covering my eyes. "Put some pants on, please."

"Huh?" Ranma replied in a tired voice. It was silent and I could just imagine her looking down and realizing she was in her underclothes. She let out a cry, "R-ryoga could you please get out now? You too dad, if you will."

I looked up to see Ranma covering herself with a blanket as she waited for us to leave. Feeling my face getting red, I quickly took my leave, Mr. Saotome following after.

We stood out in the hall awkwardly as we heard the rustle of clothing on the other side. I think I even might have heard the quiet muttered curses of an embarrassed Ranma.

"So, uh, good morning." I said to Saotome. He just nodded, seemingly in a bad mood. I nodded to myself and we stood in silence until the door opened and Ranma came out fully dressed in the girls uniform. I could guess it was Akanes, but it looked tight in... places. Places that I'll choose not to mention. The point is, she looked good.