Love is...

--------Ryoga

The course my life took after Ranma's abrupt leave from my life, can be summed up as sad or cowardly. I stayed away from school for a few days, just trying to asses my feelings. I avoided Akane especially, even when she came to my door and told me she wouldn't leave till I came out. I felt guilty for it, but I didn't want to face her with my confused feelings.

Ranma and her parting kiss continued to play through my mind. Ukyou's words echoing in the background.

I realized too late, that I liked Ranma. Liked, loved. It was both. But she was already gone now. I didn't know where, and I didn't have the means to find her myself. The idea of leaving things as they were, pained me. I wanted to give her my answer, and didn't want to give her up to anyone else.

Ultimately, I decided to confess this all to Akane and Ukyou. Expecting them both to be upset and readily turn there backs on me. However, I was surprised with their answers.

"I knew you like her." Ukyou had that knowing smile on her face. Akane though, didn't respond and didn't meet my gaze.

"Akane?" I found myself feeling guilty again. Remembering all the times I'd professed my love for her. She must have felt betrayed. It was like I was tossing her to the side in exchange for something I wanted more.

"I'll support you." Her words surprised me. "I knew about this too Ryoga. It was obvious to everyone but you and Ranko."

Had it been? I never realized. Which was the point Akane was trying to make. "I'm sorry." I tell her, still feeling like I had to say it. She seemed fine, which was a good thing. I think.

Akane smiles and kisses my forehead unexpectedly. "It's fine." She assures me sweetly. There was no questioning the reason for why I'd fallen for Akane before. Even having the confidence and surety that I loved Ranma, my heart still fluttered excitedly next to Akane.

I wondered if we'd be able to be friends in the end.

Ukyou was still in contact with Ranma, and was able to find out what she was up to and where she was. It made me feel like I really had fallen out of favor with her. Since it'd been a week now and she hadn't contacted me, or even Akane.

But honestly, that actually didn't really surprise me. Just depressed me a bit.

It seemed pretty easy to set up a plan. Ukyou was a lot smarter than I gave her credit for. I had plenty of suits to choose from, in my parents old room. It reminded again of my father, but also of Ranma. When she helped me pick out an outfit for a date with Akane. Did she like me even back then? It'd be best if I didn't know the answer.

"I'll be the one to escort you to the mansion." Ukyou informed me. "But you'll be left on your own inside. Just stick with Ranko so you don't get lost inside. That'll work right? I don't really wanna be inside where people are matchmaking."

I could understand it. I didn't really like the idea either. And definitely didn't want anyone trying to get with Ranma. The thought irritated me. Was this something she even wanted to do? It worried me that she really had given up on me. Was I too late?

Irregardless, this was the course I'd set for myself. And I wasn't backing down. I'm a fighter, and whatever the battlefield, I would come out victorious.

Then, I was very surprised when I saw her later that night. I'd recognize that red hair anywhere. And her stance, even changed slightly, was a dead give away. What surprised me the most, was the presence she gave off. She seemed stronger and more assured now than the Ranma I'd seen weeks ago on the school roof. How had she changed so much without me?