Free to be with Akane

------------ Ryoga

It took us three days to get back. I walked behind the others, not taking a chance on myself in case I got lost. I wanted to see Akane so badly. Wanted to go out with her on a date. Since I was no longer cursed with the form of a pig nothing could stand in my way. Not even Ranma.

Mousse and Shampoo actually seemed to be a couple now. As though the Ranma she had been so in love with was no longer in her memory or something along that line. Is that how it worked? Not only the person changed, but also how others saw that individual. I guess it was the same for me in a manner of speaking. I didn't hate her so much as I did when Ranma was a guy.

All the work of the Spring. At least Ranma seemed happier than she had yesterday. She wouldn't admit it, but I had heard her crying the night after the spring. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to make things worse. Now, as I looked at her, she wasn't exactly ecstatic, but she was, at least, moving on.

When we finally did reach Nerima, the sun was setting. Such a beautiful view. Birds were chirping still, even though night was creeping up. It was a nice start to a new life.

We reached the city, Mousse and Shampoo headed off in the direction of Cologne and the Cat Café while I followed Genma and Ranma to the Tendo Dojo.

"Your coming with us?" Genma asked, looking back at me.

I looked up, "Oh, um yeah! I just wanted to stop by and say hi to Akane is all.

Ranma looked back at me while she walked. "Is that so? Are you going to ask her out on a date?" She didn't say it rudely but it almost sounded as though she was hurt.

"Yes, I was. I'm sorry if you don't like that idea Ranma. But since you're no longer a guy, someone has to take the initiative and become Akane's new fiancé." I said triumphantly.

She smiled at me. It looked fake in a way. "I know Ryoga. I was thinking that too. I believe you and Akane will make a cute couple. Since I'm no longer a guy, I should probably stop looking at girls as potential mates. I don't want to be some lesbian, you know." She looked up, thinking. Then turned her attention back on me. "Hey, Ryoga. Do you know any guy who I could like and would like me back? I mean, besides Kuno."

I felt my cheeks redden for some reason. Maybe because of the look in her eyes. I don't know why I didn't notice how beautiful her blue eyes were before. I looked down shyly. "No one in particular. I'm sure there's probably a nice guy at school you could probably like. You can go as a transfer student named Ranka Saotome. And say your Ranma's sister or cousin."

"Oh, yeah, I guess that could work." It seemed strange to be discussing boys with Ranma. Especially since he was a guy only a day ago.

"Hate to break up your interesting conversation, Ranma. But what exactly are we going to say to Akane?" Genma asked.

"Just tell her the truth. That I am no longer a guy and can't be her fiancé. Also that Ryoga would be happy to take my place." Ranma said. At this point, the Tendo Dojo came into view. We were soon in front of the door. My heart beat faster. I was so close to Akane.

"I guess that will be alright then. Nothing we can really do to soften the blow. Now lets take deep breaths and go in." Genma took a step forward followed by Ranma. I walked a little slower, trying to think up the perfect date me and Akane could have. Nothing good came to mind.

Genma knocked on the door. "Hey everyone, were back! We have some big news to tell you!"

I could hear the footsteps and held my breath, waiting for Akane to arrive. When the door opens, everyone was standing there. And Akane was in the front.

"Welcome back you guys." Katsumi said, moving to the side. The others move slightly as we enter.

"Oh Ranma, the spring didn't work, did it?" Akane said as she took in Ranma-chan, a name referring to Ranma's girl half.

Ranma gave a light laugh, putting her arm behind her head. "Yes, about that. There is something we need to tell you and everyone. Lets all move to the table and I'll tell you guys all about it."

"First let me get some hot water so you can be a guy." Katsumi said as she started off toward the kitchen.

"Wait Katsumi! There is really no need for that." Ranma said as she tried to stop her.

"Why is that?" She asked, looking back. Everyone was watching them.

"Let me just tell you what happened. Then you'll understand." Ranma said, turning toward the dining room. Everyone followed slowly, not understanding what was going to be revealed. I watched Akane for a moment.

"Hey Akane! How have you been?!" I asked very energetically.

She looked up at me and smiled. "I've been well, Ryoga. Did the spring work though? Why is Ranma in his girl form now?"

"I think she should be the one to inform you, Akane. It's not in my right to say." I said, feeling my smile fall. She was so concerned for Ranma. Her attention barely stayed on me for even a second. Why couldn't she see how much I loved her?

"Okay" She replied, confused. We sat down at the table. A minute passed in silence until Akane couldn't take it. "What happened?!" She yelled in the way she usually does.

Ranma sighed heavily and explained what happened. I could tell she felt sad telling Akane. Maybe he really had loved her. Feelings like that don't just disappear in a day. I felt bad for her. Stuck in her cursed form while everyone else was back to how they used to be. Ranma really wasn't that bad. I hoped she would be able to fall in love with someone else.

"How could this have happened?!" Soun exclaimed, standing with outrage present on his face. "You did it, didn't you Genma. You always like to pull pranks on me." He grabbed hold of Genma's collar. "Well this isn't funny, Soatome. Just admit that it's a joke."

While they fought, I turned my attention to Ranma and Akane. They both looked depressed.

"Is that true, Ranma? Your stuck as a girl?" Akane asked in a low voice.

Ranma nodded. "Yes and I'm sorry Akane. I had no idea this would happen. Honest. And I'm sorry if your sad. But there are other guys you can be with. I think you and Ryoga would make a very cute couple."

I felt my cheeks grow warmer. Ranma was really encouraging us to be together. I really did like her. She was a good guy. I mean, is a good girl. She gave me a thumbs up when I looked over at her. I smiled and nodded. Better make the best of it.

"Hey, Akane?" I said.

"Hmm?" She said, looking up at me with her cute smile.

"Um... I was wondering... W-would you, um.... would you..." I could see Ranma rolling her eyes.

"Listen, Akane." Ranma said, taking Akanes shoulders. "Ryoga has really liked you for a long time. Right now he is trying to ask you out. I think you should go somewhere with him. Besides, it's not like I can be with you anymore. So go ahead."

Akane looked at Ranma, a little startled at his seemingly excited voice. "Okay. If you say so Ranma."

"Oh, I also want to say, my name is now Ranko. Ranma's cousin. No one needs to know that I was once Ranma." She said as she stretched and left the room. I watched her leave. Feeling some sort of tug, urging me to follow her. I ignored it.

I turned to Akane. "Where do you want to go for our date?!"

"Oh um." She said, getting her thinking expression on. "I really don't know, Ryoga. I don't even know if this is really appropriate. I mean, I like you. It's just, I'm not yet ready to go on a date yet. I have to get my mind around the fact that Ranma is now a girl. But maybe if you asked later, we could discuss what to do."

I nodded, smiling at her. She left and I waved. When she was gone, my smile fell. That hadn't gone how I had hoped. Would she ever be able to get over Ranma? With how things seemed, I guess that wasn't very possible.