Ranko chan

------------ Ryoga

Everyone was silent as we all stared at Ranma. It was completely impossible to think he was still a girl.

"How... how could this have happened!" He exclaimed, practically jumping out of the water.

"My boy! The spring didn't work? Even when it's hot water, you should have at least turned back into a boy." We all turned to see Genma running out from his hiding space near the trail we followed to get here.

Genma went into the water and grabbed Ranma's arms, shaking him and demanding an explanation.

"I'm sorry pop but I have no idea how this happened! I thought I would turn back to myself even if this wasn't the right spring because of the hot water. I... I don't know what's wrong." He looked so sad at that moment. I even felt sorry for him.

"Maybe that's just because it's a magical spring!" I tried to reason. The attention was turned to me. I gave a nervous laugh as I continued. "I think it's like this, because it's magical, the temperature of the spring doesn't matter. Maybe if we warmed some normal water, turned you back into a boy, you could be cured!" They proceed to look at me as though I had gone mad.

"Do you even realize how long that would take? I would be lucky if the spring was still here after doing all that." I could tell he was really pissed off. It didn't matter. I am sure this spring was just a fluke.

"Why don't we just leave the spring then? There is no point in staying in this water anymore." I tried to reason.

I could see Ranma's anger growing as he left the spring and stomped back down the mountain. My heart really went out to him. I knew he didn't like that weaker form. But there wasn't much we could do till we got some hot water. Normal hot water.

We all followed the path of very obvious footprints. Ranma must have stomped pretty hard to make them so deep.

Eventually, we caught up to Ranma. He was by a small river, cooking some fish. That's Ranma, I guess, thinking about his stomach. But besides that, I could see a kettle resting over the fire. He was going to turn himself back into a guy probably.

We gathered around Ranma, eating berries and nuts that Shampoo had recently gathered in the forest.

"Do you guys really believe that?" Ranma asked in a small voice.

"Believe what, son?" Genma asked. Apparently he was going to stay with us from now on.

"That it was just the spring. I didn't turn back because it was magical."

"Ranma, what else could it have been? Normal water would have just turned you back into a boy." I said.

"I know, I know, but what if the water did something to me? I don't know why, but since the spring, I've felt different."

"Different how?"

"Like I'm not myself. Like, I've lost something." He was looking down at his food. It was so very obvious that he was depressed.

"Calm down Ranma! Don't be ridiculous! Just dump some of that warm water on yourself and all will be well." Genma said reassuringly.

"Yeah, ok." Ranma removed the kettle from the fire and held it over his head. "Here goes." He poured the water over himself.

"Now see Ranma nothing to worry about, your back to..." Genma was saying as the water dripped down around Ranma's still girl body.

"What is it pop? I'm a boy again right?" He sounded scared as he asked the question. Almost as though he already knew the water hadn't worked. But seeing our faces is what really confirmed the truth. Ranma put his hands on his chest, feeling his body. He then fell to his knees in defeat. "What did I do wrong?" He asked in a quiet voice. I guess now I should consider Ranma as a... girl. Because something was definitely wrong that he didn't turn back into himself.

She turned away from us, eyes on the ground. "I think I'll go for a walk. Why don't you guys find your way home? I'm not like Ryoga so I won't get lost."

"Wait Ranma! Maybe it just not warm enough. Shampoo will make water hotter for you." Shampoo said, gathering the kettle and getting ready to retrieve more water.

"Wait Shampoo. Just let Ranma be. There's no reasoning with him when he's like this." I said, holding Shampoo back.

"Thanks Ryoga." Ranma said as she began walking off. I wonder were she planned to go.

We all sat in silence, all thinking up explanations to why Ranma was unable to turn back into a guy. Maybe the water here was connected to the spring in some way and so, didn't work to remove the curse. Or possibly it was because she had decided to jump in rather than walk into the spring like the rest of us had. But mostly we were thinking the worst one. Maybe Ranma could no longer turn back into a guy. Could it be? Would he stay a women forever?

Then I looked over at Mousse. He was just being so quite. He hadn't said a word since we left the spring. As I looked at him, I could tell he was smiling. Did he think it amusing that Ranma was unable to turn back?

I clenched my fist as he let out a soft chuckle. I grabbed hold of his shirt collar. "Whats so funny, huh Mousse?! You think it's funny that Ranma can't turn into a guy anymore? How would you feel if you were stuck as a duck? I can assure you that I would not be able to stand being a pig!"

Despite my hold on his collar, Mousse smiled. "That's not it at all. I'm just happy. With Ranma stuck as a girl, nothing can stand in my way of marrying Shampoo!"

I let go, deep in thought. He was absolutely right. With Ranma as a girl, He and Akane couldn't be together. That meant I could go on a date with her. I would finally have the girl of my dreams!

"You never have Shampoo! Even with girl Ranma, Shampoo never marry Mousse!" Shampoo yelled at Mousse.

"But... " Mousse just managed to get out before Shampoo shushed him.

"No but. Mousse never have Shampoo!" She humphed and turned away from Mousse.

Mousse was so stupid sometimes. I hoped Akane wouldn't act in the same manner. But she hated Ranma right? So didn't that mean this would be good news for us? I then had an idea. If I went into the water, would I turn into a pig? Or would it be the same as always?

Only one way to find out. "Hey guys, I think I'm going to wash my face with some cold water." I stood up and went to the river. I could feel there eyes on me as I reached my hands into the cold water and splashed it over my face.

I waited a moment for my transformation into a pig. But, I was still myself. That meant the curse had been lifted! I stood up and pumped my fist in the air. "It worked! I will never be a pig again!" I'm sure I had a very big and dopey grin on my face, but I was just so happy.

But if I could no longer change, did that mean that Ranma really was stuck as a girl? With no way to turn back? I looked around as the others stood and went to the river. They splashed themselves, smiling and congratulating themselves when they didn't turn into there cursed halves.

"Oh, your all so happy then right?!" We all turned to see Ranma, already returned from her walk. Guess she didn't go to far. "So that's it then, right? I'm stuck as a girl and you guys are no longer cursed?" Everyone stopped smiling. I felt guilty, and by the looks on the others, the feeling was neutral.

Ranma snarled. "Don't give me those looks!" She said, and I heard something in her voice. A sound I couldn't believe. Something that only came when you knew a girl was about to cry. Ranma turned back to the forest, hiding her face from us. "I hate it when someone feels sorry for me. Now just go home! And don't come looking for me. Not like you would, but just leave!" We watched as she left again. This time in tears.

Our nightmares were over, but Ranma's had just begun.