Hopeless

--------------Ranma

"You like Ryoga don't you?"

I comb through my hair, my eyes closed, inviting the flood of memories.

"W-What?? Why would you say that?"

I smile, laughing a little.

"Well, it's pretty obvious. The way you look at him. I'm sure Akane can tell too. You can't hide your emotions well."

I set the brush down, my fingers working to braid my hair. Weaving the hair expertly from years of practice.

"...Is that so?"

Makeup. How do girls do it? They make it look so easy...

"You should tell him how you feel."

"I look terrible." My image says, speaking my mind.

"What would that solve though? He'll just reject me in the end. He doesn't feel the same about me."

"Don't say that, you look beautiful." Pop says, standing beside me. He rests his hands on my shoulders. "Just like your mother."

"You never know with boys. They tend to be dorks when it comes to love."

I stare down at my hands. "Thanks dad."

"That may be true. I'll confess to him soon. And then I'm leaving. I'll totally make it a big bang too. Something he'll never forget. It'll serve him right. Haha..."

"You ready to meet the others? I picked the best bachelors for you. I think you'll be pleased and forget all about that other boy." Pop assures me.

"I don't think it'll be that easy. But thanks Pop." I stood, the frills of the super girly dress suit me well, I will admit, even if it's absolutely uncomfortable. And more modest than I was expecting from my old man. "Can't believe it's already been a week since I left."

"Definitely made the right choice Ranma. That Hibiki boy was just holding us back. It was nice rooming with him while it lasted. If you still miss him after you're married, we can visit everyone. I'm sure your husband will be thrilled." He ended, the statement sounding sarcastic near the end.

"If you're saying that to try to cheer me up. Don't bother. I'm fine really. He's not the reason we're here. This is my fate. Like you said before. I'm happy." I smile, hugging the round gut of my father. Though standing stiff with surprise, he hugs me in return.

"Glad for it. Those etiquette lessons will come in handy these next few weeks. Remember to refrain from using slang though." He speaks, moving away from me. "Must give off the impression that you're a lady."

"You make it sound like I'm not a lady." I say, keeping from retorting something more spiteful. I was trying to be better, really. I didn't want to be looked down on. Especially not by my father. As one of the few people who understand him, I knew what he was thinking. And I wasn't going to screw this up.

"That's not what I meant Ranma." My father speaks my name, facing me with a stern expression that I knew well. "You just, still retain traces of your masculinity. Not that it's a bad thing, I just don't want you embarrassing yourself out there." He says in the voice I like to view as his 'reasoning' voice.

I nod, not responding with words. "Let's get you out there then, shall we?" Genma keeps talking. He holds out his arm, almost like how a real father would. "I'll escort you."

Mentally sighing, I rest a hand lightly on his arm, pulling the shimmering mask on with my other. Wondering what Ryoga was doing right now. Did he miss me? Was he worried or upset by my sudden leaving? I wished that I'd... told him sooner. But it took so long just trying to build up the courage. And only when there wasn't any need to be fearful of a destroyed friendship, did I finally step forward with my true feelings.