Excepting Reality

------------ Ranma

My life always seemed to spread out and twist into unexpected ways. Sometimes even I had trouble keeping up. But it's not always a bad thing. Sometimes I find myself welcoming the change with open arms.

When my pop suggested marrying me off to some rich guy, I wasn't too thrilled. I mean, not that I didn't understand what he was coming from, just, it didn't seem very fair of him.

Then I... overheard him and Ryoga after leaving the bathroom. Ryoga defended me, standing up to pop and telling him off. I didn't know the guy had it in him. He made me happy with the words he said and I could feel a warm feeling starting in me.

I wanted to help Ryoga in someway too. Making meals for him and cleaning the house. Taking him wherever he needed to go so he wouldn't get lost. It really wasn't enough was it? To pay back for shelter and food. And his simple kind nature.

But I was determined to do my best!

In the good mood that I was in, it made the day feel even brighter. I enjoyed Ryogas company even more too.

I would see to it that his date with Akane went wonderfully. Even if... no, it didn't really matter what I thought. Or felt. Akane deserved this just as much as Ryoga.

So I talked him through what he should do. Pretty simple and straight forward. It was kind of cute, how nervous he was. I can't resist teasing him.

As I guided him to Akanes house, I felt like something was pulling on me. Trying to drag me down. I didn't let it get to me, not at all.

"Have a good time on your date." I said, "I'll be off." I waved to him as I left. Knowing that he was still watching me, I tried to walk calmly and precisely. But when I was sure I was out of his way, I started walking faster, nearly running.

I just... needed somewhere to calm myself and think normally.

Maybe I just wanted to get lost. Or to loose the world. I knew what I felt for Ryoga. I think I knew it for awhile now. But, he doesn't feel the same. If I were to come out and say it, then... What would happen to me? To pop?

I was afraid Ryoga wouldn't want to be around me anymore. That was something I really didn't want. So even if it meant just watching from the side lines as he and Akane made a family, I would help him. Until he didn't need my help anymore. It would be the least I could do. With all the times in the past when I would get in his way.

The scenery around me turns into trees, it's a nice park. Dark with only dimly lit lights shining on the pathways. But maybe the dark isn't so bad. No one would be able to see my expression. An inviting park bench calls to me and I sit.

Staying like that for so long, I'm not even sure really. How long I was there. But no one else came by. It was the dead of night, I doubt many people would even be up at this time. Not for such a small Urban town.

So it was surprising to say the least, when I could hear soft panting nearby. I thought for a moment that it was some kind of pervert, looking for any girls alone. They had another thing coming if they thought they could take me!

Being the more than capable martial artist that I was, I stood, ready to confront the enemy of women. However, as I got closer to said 'enemy' I realized that I knew this person.

And that thought made me freeze. I almost turned around too. Because I didn't want him to see me like this.

He's probably lost.

That's why I couldn't just leave. He was all alone in the middle of the night. Like an idiot, he probably tried to find his own way home. Without any help.

"Ryoga?" I asked, calling his name as I stepped closer.

He turned to me, his dark brown distant eyes brighten, his mouth gaping some. As if he couldn't believe that it was actually me there. "Ranma...?" he questions, standing up. "What are you doing out here?"

I can feel myself blushing as I faced off against Ryoga. This turn of events was unexpected. For both of us, really. "I was just... out on a walk." I said dismissively. Definitely wasn't going to tell him I was brooding over the date he was on. "The better question is why are you here? Weren't you supposed to be on a date?"

Ryoga looks down in what I'm sure is embarrassment. Scratching the back of his head. "I may have gotten lost..." He admits in a quiet voice.

Smiling, I walk into the light, closer to him. "I figured." Offering my hand, I looked him straight on. "Want me to help you find your way?"

The whole exchange was kind of corny. I wasn't expecting him to take my hand either, and he didn't. So I stashed it away in my pocket. Blushing from the foolishness, I pointed my chin in the direction of the house. "Let's go Ry-chan."

Walking back, we were both pretty quiet. It was unusually awkward. Or maybe it was just me. Being more aware of Ryoga's presence as I was.

I wonder what things would be like if I confessed my feelings? It was just passing thoughts really. I wasn't actually going to. He'd reject me for sure and then what? Us just awkwardly living together until he kicked us out or I just left? Or if he said yes...? Shaking my head at that thought. That would only ever happen in some alternate universe.

Yes, the best thing I could do was, find a rich bachelor like my father wanted. Even if I didn't really want to. I just had to except the reality of the situation and grow up. Pop would certainly be proud.

"Ranma?" Ryoga speaks up, seeming to finally be too uncomfortable with the silence. "You're not annoyed with me or anything, are you?"

"What kind of question is that?" I laugh lightly at the thought. "Of course not. What gave you that idea?"

He studies me a moment, not looking very convinced. "You're just... being quiet."

"Is that so much of an odd thing?" I counter, starting to feel a little annoyed. "You're being pretty quiet too you know? I'd almost hazard a guess that you didn't have a very good date." I said, taking a few wider steps ahead of Ryoga who stumbled after, startled.

"Is that what it seems like?" He asked rather quietly, now looking distracted. His look confused me a little. Did I get something right? But no, he was probably just upset over being lost again.

"Sorry." I apologized, brushing some stray hairs behind my ears. "You're just concerned, right? I'm fine. How was your date anyway?"

Ryoga smiled at the question, making my stomach flutter uncertainly. "I really had a good time with her!" He admits. "A better time than I'd imagined I would."

I smile and nod along with him as he talked about his date with Akane in detail. Maybe I shouldn't have asked afterall. I didn't really want to hear about it. Regretting the question, my mind drifts away from the conversation as we continue walking together.

There was a hand on my shoulder, I look up at Ryoga. "Are you sure you're okay?" He looks worried.

Shaking my head, I smile up at him. "Yeah, of course. We're almost there. Tonight we'll all be in separate rooms, so that'll be nice, huh?"

"Yeah... Sure." He seems to want to say something more, but I turn away, stopping what he was going to say.

"Sure am tired." I speak in a louder voice. "Let's go home, okay Ryoga?" It'll be fine. Even if it doesn't feel like it. Everything will be alright.

A/N
I'm sure this isn't a chapter ending anyone expected or wanted. But, I have decided on how the rest is gonna go. And... I'm really sorry that I don't update this story more. Merry Christmas everyone