Chapter 3

My eyes flutter open to the sound off my Aunt’s worried voice. “The house is gone….yes….the bank….the kid’s schools…. Ben’s job….it’s just too much to bare,” aunt said just before her voice cracked and her eyes were filled.

            Betsy still had a firm grip on my arms and her legs were rapped around my waist. I couldn’t adjust myself, so I couldn’t hear more of the conversation.

            “Mom I couldn’t ask you to…..I know you would…..yes they’re your grandchildren too….what about Dad,” aunt’s tear strained voice said into the phone.

            My fidgeting woke Betsy up, which stopped Auntie’s discussion about our situation. “Mmm, morning already,” Betsy moaned as she stretched.   

            “Mom I have to go. I’ll talk to you later.” Aunt Rachel hung up the phone and sat at the end of our bed.

“Oh kids your up. I need to talk to ya’ll. We’re going to live with Grandma till the house is repaired or something along that line.” Aunt Rachel spoke awkwardly, so you could tell she wasn’t good at parent talks. Betsy is a pretty good kid, so I doubt they had to have talks like this.

“That sounds fun!  I can’t wait to see mama. I’ve never been to Texas before,” Betsy said. She is always optimistic about everything. “What about you Jaci?”

“Doesn’t really matter what I think. I’m just extra baggage and if I don’t fit your plan you could just throw me away.” I refused to meet their doubtful eyes.

“Why would you say that,” Betsy wined

“No one is sending you anywhere. We love you and that won’t change,” Auntie’s hostile voice argued.

You don’t know anything about me, so your love could turn to hate. “You don’t have to be nice to me. All of the relatives do the same things when something like this occurs. I wouldn’t be mad at anyone, because I know I’m a burden.”               

            Betsy was in my face trying to make eye contact. I finally gave up and looked into her chestnut eyes.

            “You’re not going anywhere as long as I’m around,” Betsey growled. She was trying really hard to put up a strong front and not cry.

            “Betsy is right Jaci. You’re apart of our family now and don’t you forget that.” Aunt Rachel’s amber eyes flared with determination.

I wish I could love them, but it’s just too painful.

                                    ***

Ugh. The airport was crowded and the plane ride was long. The whole time I smelled the scent of onions and body odor. It was tear-jerking and made me get a headache.

I was starving and I knew the peanuts the plane attendants were giving me weren’t going to make the cut. My tummy felt hollow and empty like a lifeless tree.

“Are we there yet,” I wined to my Aunt again. Aunt Rachel grabbed the bridge of her nose in irritation.

“For the twentieth time no! Jaci I know your hungry, but there is nothing I can do for you. When we get to Grandma’s house I promise you that you will eat like a king.” Auntie rolled to the side and rested her head on sleeping Uncle’s shoulder.

“End of conversation,” Betsy giggled.

“Instigator,” I barked back in reply and folded my arms across my chest.