Chapter 17

The song is dedicated to Gage who is always in Jaci's face demanding things from her. gosh who died and made you king....oh wait they elected him >.< hehe. Oh to the right is Maddie

School is very tiresome, especially math, which I’m not so good in. I glance at Stephanie and I start to wonder how seven hundred and nine years of being in math might feel to her. Always a head of the game and nothing ever changes. She’d have to move around a lot to avoid suspicion and never making strong relationships with humans. It must be lonely living the undead life, repeating everything over and over again, and most of all never feeling human again. Stephanie smiles lightly at me and I smiled back.

The bell sounds and I walked towards the door where Stephanie has used her amazing speed to bet me to. I giggle at her need to compete with others. She has on faded jeans, a black t-shirt, and black combat boots. She has down sized her style and I take note in that, “No outrageous gothic outfit.”

She smiles widely. “You wish. I was just to busy with the others on working on the you-know-what and didn’t have the energy to pick out an outfit.”

I hold my breath as I think about the dead dog. “Did you get any leads? I want to help as much as I can.” Stephanie puts her hand on my shoulder and shakes her head sadly.

“Aaliyah is working on it. Caleb and Gage are checking all the other covens out for information. Isabella and Todd ditch school today to guard your grandparents.”

“What about my Aunt, Uncle, and Betsy? They need protection too.” I try to control my facial expressions as we walk down the crowded hallway.

“We’re working on that. We can’t all leave school, because that’ll cause suspicion and leave you unprotected. Give us time to work this out, but until then you’re the most important person we need to be protecting.”

I’d already heard this speech and I didn’t want her to repeat it, so I let it go. I was silent for the rest of the walk and I had no interest in biology. I sighed deeply and Alan shot me a worried look. I shook my head and looked out the window.

There was a maple tree outside the window and I watched as the leaves rustled in the wind. My looking slowly turned into glaring and I barely notice the fire. It started at the trees roots and inched its way upwards putting me in a trance. I could see the tree withering away and suddenly I felt something hit me.

I turn around and Alan is grinding his teeth. He threw an eraser at me with all his strength and it felt like I was hit with a rough rock. I slowly turned back to the tree and gasped. The tree was completely burnt where the fire was and it looked like it could barely stand anymore. Did I do that? I could have sworn the tree was perfectly fine a few seconds ago.

Alan placed hand on mines and gave them a squeeze. “What is class over already.” I look around wondering when the minutes past so fast.

“The question is what happened when the tree was on fire?”

“I don’t really know,” I confessed.

“Well how were you feeling at the time?”

“Mad and scared I guess”

“At what?” He pulls me out my chair and his hands are still touching mine.

“At the monster that’s trying to kill me,” I said.

“We’re going to find and kill him, so don’t worry. We wouldn’t want something like that happening again.” He squeezes my hand again and lets it go. “You should hurry to class before the ball sounds.”

“You too,” I nod.

“Jaci I’m a vampire I’m never late,” he laughs loudly and again I am enchanted be him. I smile and run off to P.E.

I make it just before the bell rings and Maddie is sitting on the benches waiting. I fumble with my gym locker for a bit before it opens. I quickly change into my gym clothes and turn to Maddie. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay lets just go before the coach finds out we’re late.” We go to the gym and merge with the class. We had the whole gym to our self so we did separate activities. Maddie and I found a corner to lounge in and talk. 

Maddie had a lot to tell me about Sam. “I thought since he told me he liked me he was going to be nicer, but I was wrong. He is just the same old meanie I remember.” She pouts and starts to play with her shoe laces.

“Well how would you act if he changed his ways and treated you with love?”

“What,” she squints at me.

“I mean what if instead of calling you names he called out your name or treated you like a princess. How would you react if he held doors open for you, held your books in the hall, or even walked you to class? Would you feel anxious because you feel like your being rushed into liking him? Or would you instantly fall for him and dump Jay?”

She blushed and mumbled, “It would be nice if he changed a little for me.”

“Maddie I hate to say it, but stop acting like a brat. Don’t you think what you’re asking for is a little selfish?”

“No,” she says defensively.

“Really? You want him to show you love, but you won’t return his feelings. You want to keep both guys even though you no you can’t. I’m pretty sure Jay won’t be so into your love triangle.”

Maddie’s face flushed. “Well what about Gage and Caleb?”

“You know that’s different.” I try to keep calm and it starts to get harder and harder to control my feelings.

“No it’s not, because you can’t choose between them either. You love Caleb, but Gage interest you. Maybe you want to be with Gage, but you don’t won’t to admit it.” Maddie stands up and I so do I.

“I could never love anyone other than Caleb and for you, my best friend, to assume that is wrong. I was only trying to help you because I thought that was what friends do. Maybe we can’t help each other?”

“Fine you’re to full of drama! Especially when it comes to your family and the supernatural world.” Maddie puts her hands on her hips and holds her head up high.

I’m livid now, so I slap her with all my strength. “Don’t ever come near me again you stupid blonde bitch!” I storm off leaving her standing there with her hand on her swollen cheek. I don’t stop run even when the coach tries to stop me. I start to cry and I ignore the few students and teachers in the hall staring.

I run into the court yard where the covenant is and even then I don’t stop running. I finally stop running when I get to Caleb and I hold on to him. He’s confused and worried but he can’t help but to embrace me and allow me to cry. The whole coven is around us and I don’t look at any of them.

“What happened,” Tiffany says worriedly.

“Nothing,” I mumble and start to rub my eyes hard. Caleb grabs my hands and holds them.

“Well that is a lie and you know it, so just spill it,” Isabella says impatiently. I can’t tell them, because even though I’m mad at Maddie I’d never tell her secrets or betray her trust.

“Nothing it’s my business so I’ll handle it.” I squeeze Caleb’s hands for support and he squeezes back.

“This is a two way street Jaci and we need your corporation,” Gage tries to convince me. I look him directly in the eye and I don’t drop my eye contact as I speak.

“Nothing,” I talk slowly and I feel the atmosphere shift. I look around at everyone and they drop the subject.

The bell rings and everyone stands. “Meeting adjourned,” Gage says and walks away. Everyone walks in different directions leaving Caleb and I alone.

Nothing is said, but nothing needs to be said to understand. Caleb kisses my forehead and I know once again Caleb understands me more then anyone else. Flowers start to grow around us and I watch as they grow tall and beautiful like our love.

Our love.