Chapter 8

Maddie's house was a one-story with five bedrooms and three bathrooms. The living room was big and so was the kitchen. Every room was painted with bright colors and decorated with the highest of fashions.

"Wow your house is so cool." I slid my hand on the granite counter in the kitchen.

She laughed. "My dad is a CEO of some big expensive company."

"Awesome, so you get whatever you want and more?" I opened the fridge.

"Kind of." Her tone was too sad to ignore, so I turned around and looked her in the eye.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Six years ago my mom died and my dad became emotionally unstable." She looked down at the floor.

I closed the fridge and gave her a hug. "How did she die?

"She died in a car accident. I remember that day we went grocery shopping. My dad stayed home with Jaden, while we went to the store. I didn't even see the car coming at us until it hit. I blacked out a few seconds later and woke up in the hospital." She was crying too hard to keep telling the story.

I squeezed her harder and said, "Pudding break."

She gave me a little smile.

I grabbed a big bag of cheetos and Maddie got ten pudding cups and we headed to her room.

She had a billion stuffed animals, pink walls, and all the high tech electronics a teen could want in her room. We sat on her queen sized chocolate brown and pink striped bed.

"What happened at the hospital?" I opened my chip bag and started eating.

Maddie was already scarfing down her pudding cups. "They said I was lucky to be alive and not severely damaged. I lost ligaments of my brain, so a few memories and cells are gone."

So that is why she is so stupid. "When I asked about my mom they said she didn't make it. Dad started to change over the years. He was no longer the loving dad I knew, but some stranger."

"I know how it feels to loss someone important to you. My parents died when I was five, so I never really got to know them."

"I didn't know that."

"Well I don't really like to tell people my life story. But hey at least you got to know your mom before she died." I crunched down on a chip in frustration.

"Maybe we can help each other with our pain. Like they say 'twos company.'"

"I'd like that." I smiled.

"Sis I'm home," A boy's voice shouted.

"My brother is home. I'll introduce you two." Maddie grabbed my hand and we ran to the living room.

Her brother was putting his backpack in the closet. "So sorry I'm late I decided to go to the arcade with my friends."

"It's okay because Jaci kept me company."

"Who is t-," He stopped mid-sentence when he saw me. "Wow, I didn't expect your friend to be so hot." He looked me up and down in fascination.

He was wearing a brown boy's football varsity graphic hoodie, blue jeans, and brown high top shoes. He had long curly brown hair and bright blue eyes. His hair looked fluffy and his eyes were caring.

"Don't flirt with her she's taken." She stuck out her tongue and rolled her blue eyes.

"Whatever. I'm Jaden the smarter sibling." I laughed and Maddie pouted.

"I'm Jaci I just moved here."

"Good I need another hand to raise my sister, because I don't think Sam and Kayla can do it alone." He started to walk towards the kitchen.