Chapter 15

I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but when I heard familiar voices under the staircase I just had to see what was happening. I saw a black shirt with a bloody skull on it and sleek black hair.

When I saw the dirty blonde hair I knew it was Sam and Maddie. I listened closely and hid in the shadows that the staircase cased.

“I can’t just be friends with you anymore it’s to late,” Sam shook Maddie fiercely. She looked frightened and I wanted to jump out and protect her, but I knew that she needed to do this by herself.

“I don’t know what I should do,” Maddie whispered and looked down. Her tactful dress swerved as she squirmed around and I could just sense the anxious radiate from her.

Sam kissed her and she instantly melted into his arms. The way they kissed seemed as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Sam pushed her against the wall and Maddie clung to him even more.

I could only hope Maddie knew what she was doing, because from now on it would only get harder. But just when I was about to make my exit Maddie pushed Sam away.

“I can’t do this. I can’t do us. It’s just too confusing and hard after nine years of friendship. I don’t want to loss that.” I knew Maddie was trying hard not to cry and speak her mind.

“Don’t do this Madeline. Is it because of Jay, because if it is I can handle him don’t you worry.” Sam’s hands balled up into fist.

“No it’s much bigger then Jay and maybe even you. I don’t understand myself right know and all I want is my friend back.” She lost her control and started to cry, but she kept on going. “I don’t know if I have feelings for you like that and I don’t want to lead you on. I care about you a lot and I miss you, but I think I just want to feel something familiar.”

Sam looked like he really wanted to reach out to her and comfort her. He really did care for her and it showed all over his face. My heart went out to him and his unrequited love. My eyes followed Maddie’s every movement and I felt proud.

She was scared and maybe even terrified, but she kept on talking about her feelings. Her knees shook, she looked off balance, and pounds of tears flowed from her eyes. She was very strong and the girl I saw wasn’t my goofy Maddie, but a real fighter. 

“Listen I didn’t mean to make you cry,” Sam said softly as he wiped away her tears. “I never wanted to hurt you or make you feel scared. I really love you and I know I can always be there for you.”

“But I-,” Maddie began.

“Did you know that when I met you I didn’t expect to fall so hard for a girl who looked like a doll? I never dreamed that I would love you so much and want to embrace you so much that it kills me inside. I want so bad to be the boyfriend you run to with unconditional love in your bright aqua blue eyes.”

He hugged her tight and this time she didn’t push him away. “I think of you day and night nonstop. I don’t want to kiss anyone other then you. I don’t want to have any other bubble headed girl then you. I want to grow old with you and always have your heart.”

He released her and kissed her forehead gently. “I’ll try and be your loving friend again if it will make you happy, but don’t forget that I love you.”

She sniffled and nodded. I raced from my hiding place and hugged Maddie hard, I couldn’t help myself. “That was so beautiful.”

Maddie’s face turned deep red. “You were listening.” She covered her mouth and shook her head. Sam grabbed the back of my shirt and dragged me off.

Maddie followed babbling about how embarrassed she felt. Sam tossed me in my class and I fell on my butt. Sam grabbed Maddie and split before being seen.