Chapter 34

Chapter 34

~Draco's POV~

Everything was ready. All that was needed was Hermione. My heart was hammering violently, my palms were sweating and I was pacing the length of the common room. Flickering candles lit a walkway from the door to the table, which was in the middle of the room, creating an arc of brilliant gold around the furniture, whose shadows danced and swayed to the quiet, gentle music playing in the background. The magical glow relieved the darkness, one so enchanting it couldn't be replicated by a spell. The red crystal glasses gleamed in the candlelight and the rose in the centre of the table stood bold and majestic; nature's finest flower waiting to be praised and adored.

I sat down on a chair, tapping my foot against the floor and drumming my fingers on the table. I breathed in and out, slowly, counting to ten. In and out. At that moment knocking broke the silence of the room. Swivelling in my chair, I turned to the source of the noise; the window. There was an owl. This was the sign. Harry had sent this owl after Hermione had left the common, so she was on her way. I opened the window and gave the owl a treat and hurried it off. Then I strode over to the entrance, attempting to look as cool and collected as possible. I waited.

Not long after, the common room door opened, and a bemused Hermione was stood at the entrance. I caught a glimpse of Ginny, who winked at me before she walked off down the corridor. Then all my attention was focussed upon the beautiful women standing in front of me. I grinned and strutted up to her,

"Miss Hermione Granger, would you care to join me for a meal." I gestured to the table in the middle of the room.

"Draco what- have you- oh Draco." She flung her arms around my neck, her eyes brimming with tears. Her surprise hug caught me off guard for a split second before I gained my footing and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"It's all for you Hermione." I whispered into her ear, then I pulled back and looked at her. "I certainly hope you're hungry."

"Positively starving." She beamed at me.

All my nerves and anxieties floated away from my body. There was never any need to be worried with Hermione. Her smile created an aura of happiness that made it impossible to be upset in her presence.

We glided up the long candlelit path and sat down in the chairs at the table. At that moment Bobbin walked in bringing in a platter full of food. I had made an extremely fancy meal from a muggle cookbook; pan-roasted lamb steak coated in mint, coriander and mustard seed with red current jus. It had taken hours, but it was most definitely worth it. The dish was extravagant and colourful, and smelt just as appetising as it looked.

Hermione looked from Bobbin to me, reprovingly.

"Bobbin is just our waiter for the evening." I reassured her. "The food is my own creation. Now relax and enjoy this masterpiece. It'll be the best meal you'll ever taste."

"Cocky." She smirked at me.

"Maybe, but once you try it, you won't be able to deny it." I sipped some of my drink and thanked Bobbin, before he disapparated.

She cut up part of the lamb and chewed. I grinned at her between mouthfuls, she knew it was good.

"Oh shut up." She laughed. "It is lovely though, thank you Draco."

"No problem." I beamed.

We chatted about everything and nothing, talking for hours. Time always swept away from me whenever I was with Hermione. At one point I knew I had to ask her a question I had been dreading addressing for a while, so regretfully, I sighed,