Chapter 15

Chapter 15

~Hermione’s POV~

      I was walking to the library and I saw Ron. He was acting very strange, even more so than usual. He was walking in a straight line, expecting people to move round him. He didn’t react to anything, he just stared straight ahead, blankly. As though he was not seeing anything around him. Curious, I followed him. Continuing deep into the castle, I realised he was going to the dungeons. I held my wand at the ready.

A dark silhouette stood at the end of the corridor, but I couldn’t make out who it was. Ron walked closer and closer to the person. I got as close of possible without being seen. And I listened carefully. A girl’s voice spoke “Hello Ron.” To my utter bewilderment, I realised the screechy voice belonged to Pansy Parkinson. What was Ron doing with Parkinson?! I held my breath and listened carefully.

“You have done well Ron, but there is something else I want you to do.” Ron never spoke throughout this, Ron always had something to say.

Pansy whispered something in his ear, I tried my best to listen but she was too quiet. However, I did hear what she said next. I moved slightly so I could see her. Her wand was pointed at Ron and she said, “Imperio.”

I screamed in fury, and jumped out from my hiding place. Pansy staggered back completely startled; it would have been funny in other circumstances. I yelled “Petrificus Totalus!” It hit her directly in the chest. She froze and fell to the floor with a thud.  At the same time Ron collapsed to the ground unconscious. I used a spell to float them to the hospital wing.

     When I arrived, Madam Pomfrey bustled about her two new patients. I sat beside Ron and just stared at him, my head thumping with all the new information. Ron was under the imperious curse the whole time. That’s why he was acting so different and horrible. But why would Pansy want to curse him and make him do all those horrible things to me? What did she want?

Lost in my thoughts, I didn’t notice Ron’s eyes open. He put his hands around my neck and dragged my face to his, and kissed me. I pulled back instantly and screamed,

“Get off me! You disgust me! Do you even know what you have done?” He looked shocked.

His face crumpled, “I am so sorry Hermione, for everything. I really am. Pansy was controlling me under the imperious curse. I was trapped inside myself unable to fight, my body was taken over and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It was horrible Hermione. I saw myself hurting you, and something inside of me enjoyed it. I knew that was the part that was being controlled, but it was still me and it felt disgusting. I am deeply sorry and I just want you to know I would never intentionally do that to you, ever, Hermione.” He grabbed my hand, we were both crying, “I love you.” he said.

I had no idea what to do or what to think. Ron, my Ron, the old Ron was back. He loved me. Just as before. Everything was back to normal. But there was one thing nagging at the back of mind, preventing me from returning the ‘I love you’. I couldn’t place why at the moment, but it just felt wrong to say it, so I didn’t. I just smiled and hugged him.

“I’ve missed you, Ron.” I cried into him.

“I’ve missed you too, Hermione.” He said crying. “It’s over now. I’m back. Everything can go back to normal. “

And for some reason, I didn’t want that, his words didn’t comfort me and make me feel safe, as intended, in fact they made me feel worse. A lot worse.