Chapter Two - The Vampires Daughter

Mulo paced the floor of his sleeping chambers in frustration, his long, ebony silk robe sweeping the dusty stone flooring.

"This can't be!" he roared. Mulo was a dark and powerful vampire. His skin shone silver in complexion, and his eyes were blacker than coal. "I will not allow this happen. If my plan is ruined, many lives will be at risk," the vampire snarled again.

His intention to kill Alma had deemed unsuccessful. He had tried his hardest to play on the suspicion the villagers of Fradfolk had on Alma. He found a way to infuriate them, control their fear and hatred to force them act on their emotions and kill her. But it didn't work. Mulo did not want anybody getting in his way of receiving the one thing he desired most. He frowned and then strode over to a delicate woman, her skin depressing and grey.

"Thea, my sweet child, my only daughter, you deserve power. You deserve to feel the power of the god of the Underworld like I do." He caressed her soft black hair and pecked her on the forehead with his thin, lifeless lips. Turning away, he stepped over to a large stained-glass window. "Yes, I will succeed."

Mulo lived underground, a long distance from Fradfolk. He had an immensely colossal, run-down castle, built into the underground walls of a cave. This satisfied him rather nicely, as it was then facile enough to escape not only mortals, but the sunlight as well, which exhausted vampires. He had his army of vampires and his adherents, men who were outcasts from society and wanted to be no part of integrating into the mortal life, or those who were converted from other vampires to make Mulo's army larger.

"In the ancient times, vampires were said to have been converted from the great Vampire God of the Underworld, or so the fable was told, and given eternal life and the ability to shapeshift. He picked the crow, his favourite animal in the mortal plains." Mulo spoke gently to his daughter, as they observed from the window, his soldiers forming from crows into people before their eyes with a mist of grey smoke.

"He frequently visited the mortal land, biting and converting men until his actions caught the attention of the great Sun God. He told the Vampire God his actions were temerarious and irresponsible, but the Vampire God wouldn't listen to this, and he was soon banished to spend eternity in the Underworld. From that point forward, vampires either converted each other or had families, which they then gave birth to immortal beings and the chain perpetuated."

"And you were born a vampire Father?" Thea croaked back at him with curiosity.

"Certainly, I was, your Mother was, we were from a lengthy line of born vampires."

"And why do some convert others?" Thea asked, watching as two of Mulo's followers entered the chamber and passed the Vampire King a goblet and a jug filled with a crimson red liquid.

"Look around you, not everyone seeks to be mortal and live in an inadequate existence with pathetic expectations and laws." Mulo nodded to his followers, two small, greasy brown-haired women stepped forward.

"Oh yes, I had my heart crushed and the man left me for another," the first woman replied, revealing a gummy smile. Thea winced slightly. The other woman nodded as well.

"You see, not everyone desires to live that way of life," Mulo smiled at his daughter and with his hand, ushered the two women back out of the room. They complied, stepping away briskly without another word. Thea watched them leave and then her gaze returned to her Father.

How Mulo became the Vampire King was unknown, but many recognized him as great and puissant, and Mulo liked to keep it that way. The vampire's daughter Thea was born without vampire abilities, born mortal due to a tragic accident and this exasperated him greatly.