Chapter Eleven - Earth Witch

Back at the Inn, everyone had awoken at first sunlight, well rested and ready to travel north. Ash had prepared porridge and Alma and Dante were grateful, lapping up every bit. Sitting around the same table from the night before, Dante was telling Alma about what he had heard about the forest. The forest was not often visited unless you were familiar with the area, and even though the faeries lived in the pine forest, eventually the further north you went through the forest, the trees turned into large old oak trees, and the atmosphere became denser with a soft grey mist sweeping across the forest floor.

"I heard from Anne in the castle that she saw deer there." Ash spoke with a bold voice. "But how if apparently the forest is so dense there right?"

"I heard there were giant dragonflies actually." Dante added.

"Are giant dragonflies even real?!" Alma asked.

"Well, ya probably didn't believe in faeries until ya came here. Am i right?" Ash asked Alma.

"True, I didn't." Alma replied. Dante raised his eyebrows at Ash. "I guess that answers it then."

Ash refused to accept any money and Alma protested playfully, declaring she honestly didn't want to put him out of pocket. 
"We are all important equally in this world." Placing her hand gently on his shoulder in comfort. "Thank you so much."

Dante shook Ash' hand and Alma gave him a quick hug and they both hurried out the door to start their walk to the northern forest. The sky was a brilliant bright blue and the Suns heat beamed down upon them as if to say hello. Dante pointed in a direction out of the Village. 

Many people were already out and awake in the village, many had been to the well and were carrying buckets of water, others baskets with fruit and vegetables piled high. Food seemed plentiful in Quzenth. It had a much nicer atmosphere than Fraadi. Alma shuddered slightly as she remembered her last day there.

They found themselves on the winding stone path they had been on yesterday and followed it now north. They could see the large Castle of Quzenth right of them, towering high and the sun's rays danced on the shiny castle walls. Above them the Jaculus were flying and stretching their wings. It looked like it was going to be a wonderfully pleasant day to travel.

The path eventually led them to the edge of the meadows and the Fae greeted them all with smiles and waves. One small fairy, dressed in blue, flew over to Alma, her mousy brown hair flowed in the gentle breeze. She handed Alma a daisy and flew back to the other fairies. Alma placed the flower in her pocket.

After the meadows ended they met the tall pine trees, walking around the faeries village. Eventually, after much walking, Dante turned back to see nothing more than Pine trees behind him, left of him and right of him. They were now deep into the forest. Rabbits could be seen hopping around a distance away and flowers grew on the forest floor through the blanket of grey pine needles, forget-me-nots, daisies and buttercups. Birds could be heard singing in the tree tops and the atmosphere was over all very pleasant, not a crow to be heard. The sun crept through the tree canopy and forcing its way down and shone between the leaves. It seemed now very high in the sky.

"I suspect it is now around midday. I don't think we will be too long as the pine forest is maybe only an acre or two before it changes." Dante spoke confidently and they carried on walking.

The air started to get colder and the sun before long was hardly able to peer through to reach the ground. A soft mist danced around the their ankles now and Dante looked up to confirm they were now in Fawns territory. Enormous Oak trees soared up reaching the sky, For early Summer, the leaves seemed fully grown and were beautifully green. It was a weird contrast given the fact the ground floor seemed now so thick and gloomy.