Chapter Four - Nerida

Sunlight crept over the horizon and the soft clouds floated around a pale sky. Birds sang and creatures in the forest awakened to start their day. The forest was very large and separated the lands between Quzenth and Fraadi. Old and tall pine trees covered at least five hundred acres of the land. Deep in the forest, not far from the river, lived the Fae, a small race of little people, with gentle wings like bees. The were less than six inches in height, and most smaller than four.

The Fae took advantage of the shelter the forest provided along with the meadows. During the summer season, flowers blossomed and the fruits and vegetables grew bountiful. The grass was soft and the area was home to many critters and wildlife. By Autumn, the toadstools grew practically overnight and the Fae rejoiced. They grew many herbal plants, and the village people came to them for medical and magical remedies. From Rosemary to Lemon balm, even Lavender to help them fall asleep.

Nerida, heard rumours that Conn had found Alma and wanted to help him get to Quzenth. She flew above the tall trees searching for any sign of a fire. Indeed, she saw smoke rising not too far near the river and headed south in that direction.

Back on ground, Conn, Alma, and her family were all sitting around the fire, eating berries. Conn was showing Alma his magic, making the sparks of the fire drift about as if alive. He created a horse galloping, then it changed into a butterfly, flying away into the sky. Nerida perched herself beside Conn and tugged at his cloak. Conn looked down and smiled.

"Nerida my dear, you have found me, so lovely to see you!" He shook Nerida's tiny hand with his finger. Nerida nodded back and stood carefully on the log. She shook herself a little and jumped down. As she did, she turned into human form. Nerida shook her red curly hair and smiled. She was five feet tall, still very small indeed.

"Meet my friends, Estefan, Marium Floros, and their daughter Alma," Conn said stepping aside. Nerida beamed at the family and shook their hands eagerly.

"Very nice to meet you, Sir, and ladies." Nerida bobbed a curtsy to them.

She straightened out her red dress, which looked like it had stretched quite a bit, pulling it down to below her pale knees.

"Bluebells are flowering everywhere, it is quite a beautiful sight indeed," She turned to Alma and took her hands gently. "Faeries love Bluebells. Do you?" Alma nodded back, she had never seen a Faerie before, and never knew they could transform into human form.

"Very well, I assume you are joining us on our Journey to Quzenth?" Conn spoke.

"Even better. I am going to take you there myself." Nerida grinned.

Stepping back carefully, she transformed into an almighty beast, with large, white feathered wings, a face of an eagle, and large eagle talons. Her body was that of a lion, with golden and muscular feline-like legs. Lowering her head, she gently screeched.

Nerida was a powerful shapeshifter, but enjoyed being in the form of the faeries the most. She hadn't always been a shapeshifter. As an adolescent mortal girl from a fairly average peasant family, Nerida loved to explore the cliffs and beach around where she lived.

One day she fell through a hidden crack in the ground and landed in a cave below, spraining her ankle. Out of the shadows, a handsome woman appeared, with long white hair and white eyes. She told Nerida she was a sea witch and she could help her but she could never return to her parents now Nerida had seen her.

The sea witch changed Nerida. Forming her into a shapeshifter. The Witch also healed her ankle and let her rest, making her food and protecting her from wild beasts. The two created an unlikely bond and although the witch did not admit it, Nerida knew there was kindness in her cold heart deep down.