Chapter Seventeen - The Spirit Stone

Alma, Dante and Willow stood at the bottom of the rather large grassy hill which was covered in many wild flowers, daisies, dandelions and clovers. There were no clouds and the sun shone happily across the land. Four Jaculus dragons, had accompanied them on their journey and it had been a pleasant and relaxing start to the day.

They had walked east from the castle through many spare acres of land, unmanned and wild, wild rabbits grazed and basked in the sunlight and a number of different small birds flew gracefully around the sky looking for worms and other insects. 

When they had finally reached the hill, they knew it was the right place. It was the only hill for as far as the eye could see and at the top  stood a tall and rather large grey rock with a circular hole in the middle. 

"I have walked so much, I am not sure if I can walk anymore." Willow teased. "Maybe i shall stay here instead." She sat on the ground slowly, shaking her golden hair in front of her face. "My legs are aching." 

"Come on, just charge ahead and do not think about it, and before long you will be there." Dante smiled back. "Isn't that right Alma?" 

Alma showed a displeased look upon her face. "Yeah... sure." She paced upwards towards the top. Dante charged ahead. They both grinned at each other as they paced quicker and quicker until they were almost racing to get to the top first. Dante leaped up the last foot and landed in a leap at the top of the hill. The top was surprisingly flat. Alma looked down at Willow, who was still sitting at the bottom. She smiled, and ushered her up with her hands. Willow groaned, stood up and slowly climbed up the hill too.

"The rock is said to be the point where all the energies come from. The fire, the Air, the Earth and Water. All energised and sent outwards into the world. The link to the Over world and the Under world, whatever that may be. And where magic was created by the great Sun God. He was a powerful divine being, like a strong and brawny giant, maybe eight feet tall." Dante spoke staring at the large rock. "On a full moon, he rolled the rock up the hill. He punched it with his fist, with all his strength. And he called to his lover of the underworld, The Moon Goddess, the lady of the moon. Mother to the witch who created the Sun Drip dagger...And she appeared from the hole, and dragged him inside." Willow continued. Dante laughed and so did Alma. 

The stories and folklore were always a thin line between reality. Growing up knowing Elves, Dragons, witches and vampires were real, never phased a mortal growing up in such a world. But to hear stories of goddesses and gods left a different impression. They all had their own conclusions or had different theories on who these beings were. Ancestors, beings once lived, now just energy themselves perhaps. Word of mouth, kept alive in peoples hearts.

The Jaculus dragons circled the area, swooping high and low gracefully, their wings flapped with such incredible force. None of them flew above the rock, they kept their distance. The sun was south of them, and although high in the sky, It was not above the hill but beside it and it beamed on the stone, casting a shadow. down towards the bottom off the hill on the other side. 

Alma reached the rock first. She had the four stones carefully covered in a white cloth. As she looked up, she noticed that it wouldn't be long before the Sun shone directly through the stone hole. 

Dante was in awe. He could see so much from the hill. The distance, the village to the west, so small. The castle still looked like it was glistening in the sunlight even though it was so far away from here. Alma opened the cloth and walked over to the stone. Inside the stone hole, was four grooves. The hole was although large and probably more oval in shape, was not too high from the ground and Alma could reach into it quite comfortably. Looking at the four glowing pieces in her hand, and then back at the sun. She knew what she needed to do, wait.