Chapter Ten - Empathy (Or Lack Of)

Thea walked along the long and narrow corridor, towards her fathers bedroom. The only light were small candles which were placed on stones which stuck out of the wall along the corridor. Her black long silky dress followed after her, disturbing the dusty ground. Knocking on her father's door Thea yawned. Her father was quick to answer the door once hearing the sound.

"My child you are tired and weak." Mulo spoke softly to his daughter, guiding her into his room and towards a red chair made from rough velvet. Mulo knew that vampires never yawned as they never were tired and rarely needed sleep, only to recharge.

"Father, what are we going to do with this fairy?" Thea asked. "For if she could turn into a crow, surely she can change her form again? Into something bigger, or smaller?"

"Child, the cage she is in will keep her from using any type of magic. The bars hold a binding spell which keeps anyone inside unable to use magic. Its quite clever actually." Mulo was now taking his daughters hand and leading her towards a different door behind a red tattered curtain on the other side of the room. Behind the door was a spiral stairwell leading downwards. It was pitch black and only several small candles gave light. 
They walked down the stairwell and before long they were in what seemed to be a small dungeon. Along the walls, left and right were small cells, bars made of strong steel, straw scattered the floor and light was scarce, some how more scared than anywhere else in the castle. The Guards bowed to their king and led him along to the far end of the dungeon where a dark wooden door was. Mulo pulled the heavy door open and inside was a cage hanging from the ceiling.

There inside curled into a ball, was Nerida. Thea walked over to the cage and peered inside.

"And what is her fate?" Thea asked her father glancing over to him.

"She is now a hostage. She is a tool, she will become useful to get what we want." Mulo smirked. He now walked towards the cage and circled it, his long cape dragging behind which had brought in straw from the outside. He picked up a long piece with his long fingers and placed it through the cage bars, prodding the tiny faerie.

"Wakey wakey!" Mulo softly spoke. "You are going to tell me what I want. Or I will make you." Prodding her once more and then circling the cage again. Thea watched her fathers face becoming impatient. Nerida did not move from her position, refusing to uncurl.

"I know you are awake; I know you hear me." Mulo's voice grew louder. "LOOK AT ME." But Nerida did not.

"Fine." Mulo Opened the cage door and grasped Nerida's tiny yellow wings. Nerida bolted upright in pain, her face now red and filled with fear.

"Father!!" Thea shocked at his actions, grabbed her fathers hand in protest. Mulo shook her off and proceeded to pull at Nerida's wings until it came apart like plucking a petal from a flower. He then threw her back inside the cage. Nerida groaned in pain and fell to the cage floor in a heap.

Mulo shrieked with laughter grasping the shiny wing in his fingers. "I hope I made myself clear." He turned to leave the room. "Come along Thea."

Thea followed after but paused by the door. Peering back at the faerie, with a saddened look on her face. Her father called again and Thea heaved the heavy door shut. The faint cries echoed the room as Mulo and Thea left the dungeon. 

Thea paced after her father back up the stairs. Right now she really hated him. She knew he was a man which lacked in compassion but to do such a thing to someone really angered her. She stormed out of his bedroom as they reached the top of the stairs, slamming the door behind her. She rushed down the stairs and headed straight for Onas' room. She felt like Onas was the only one who understood. The only one she could talk to.