11] mercy

I don't mean to cry, while Elyza is holding me, but I can't help it. I tried to be brave, and lasted as long as I could.

I knew as soon as the soldier next to me started shooting out the window, that my knight in shining black leather jacket was coming for me. I didn't think twice about stabbing the dagger into his neck the second he came back into the van. I couldn't let him hurt her when she was so close to saving me.

"You saved me." I said without moving away from her. She gripped me tighter. She doesn't say anything. I pull away a little to get a look at her. Her jaw is clenched and her eyes are closed. I know her mind is going a mile a minute so I don't say anything, letting her process her thoughts. Instead I kiss the side of her mouth and go back to the comfort of her embrace.

We sit like that for another minute before the soldier whose head went through the passenger side starts to stir. My heart rate increases and Elyza carefully slides me off her lap.

I get my first good look at her. Her nose looks crooked, she has a bullet in her left arm and one in her thigh. I gasp, but before I could grab her to inspect her wounds she's outside the van. She opens the passenger side door, the man's head still hanging on the outside of the window. He drops to the ground with a moan.

His face is bloody and full of cuts. She grabs the 2 way radio out of the van, bends down and drags him across the ground to the back of the van. I get out slowly and follow.

She has her foot on his throat and shoves the radio in his face. The tone of her voice strikes fear in me to my core. "You're going to tell him you had to take a detour to shake me, but that everything is ok." He doesn't say anything, and I think for a moment that he might be dead.

"Fuck. You." He chokes out.

Oh no. That is not the right thing to say to her. Sure enough, she removes her foot from his throat and pulls him by his shirt so they are face to face.

"I'm going to give you one last chance, or I'm taking your eyes." Holy fuck. That escalated quickly.

"Fuck.." He doesn't finish his insult. She shoves her thumb into his eye and he screams. I have to turn away. "Ok! Ok, please." He begs. She removes her thumb and slams him down on the ground hard.

She holds the 2 way up to his mouth. "I swear to god, if you try anything you will wish I was only taking your eyes." I shudder.

She holds the button and the radio crackles. "J. Hook, come in this is Draco." Elyza lets go of the button.

Jayson's voice comes back over the radio. "J. Hook for Draco. Where the fuck are you?" J Hook. Really. That's his call sign. I roll my eyes. Can mine be Pan. I really wanna cut a mother fuckers hand off and feed it to a croc. Elyza grabs him by the hair, reminding him of her threat before holding the button down again.

"We had to take a detour. She caught on to our trail, we're trying to shake her." Elyza lets go of the button.

"Ok. DO NOT LOSE that fucking cargo. Do what you have to, but I want them both alive. I mean it Draco. Over and out." Elyza punches Draco in the face knocking him out. She drags him back the front of the van.

"You're not going to kill him?" I'm confused. I thought she wanted to take them all out.

"They are." She points behind us. There is a small group of infected heading out way.

My eyes go wide and I gasp. She's going to let them eat him alive.

She walks up to me, grabbing my face in her hands. "The dead might be the ones eating people, but the living are hungry, Hodnes." She rubs her thumb along my cheek. "He does not deserve any mercy. Plus, I let him keep his eyes. For another few minutes anyways." I shudder again. "Let's go. I bought us a litte time, but we still need to leave before they figure out I have you back."