35] rest

"Hodnes.. Wake up." I open my eyes slowly and see a panicked looking Elyza pulling me into her lap. My mom and brother are standing around us, looking just as concerned.

"Hodnes, are you ok?" She leans down and kisses my temple.

I don't really know what's going on, but I just take a second to enjoy the warm safety of Elyza's embrace. I bury my face in her neck, and take in a deep breath of her.

Then it all starts coming back to me. My talk with Maree. The bites on Elyza's arm that should be scabbed over and healing, but aren't. I pull away from her, and try to stand up.

My mind is racing a mile a minute, and I start shaking. She needs to rest. People's bodies, her body, needs sleep, so cells can regenerate, and the body can fight off infections. It's basic fucking science! Lyndsey doesn't have to be here to explain it!

"Elyza, you're not healing. You have to sleep right now!" I finally manage to get up. I'm still a little foggy from fainting, and I'm in crisis mode. My knees are shaking almost as bad as they do after a few rounds in bed with Elyza.

The whole family is standing around looking at me like I'm insane. I don't care because all I can think about are those unhealed bites on her arm.

She looks at me, with a more then normal aggravated look. "Hodnes.."

No fucking way. She's not going to start some shit now.

"No. I don't fucking care what excuse or reason that is about to come out of your mouth. Let's go. Now." I try to pull her arm towards the building, but get snapped back when she doesn't even budge.

"No." She says when I look at her.

My teeth clatter when my jaw drops at her asinine answer, then snaps right back shut in anger. Is she fucking serious right now?

"Excuse you?! This isn't a fucking game." I get in her face. "I am not doing this with you Elyza! You need to sleep!"

"Keep your voice down." She growls. I'm pushing her buttons now. Good. Because she's pushing mine right back! I walk behind her and start trying to physically push her into moving. She won't budge.

"Alicia what has gotten into you?" I hear my mom ask. I ignore her.

"What's going on?" Chris asks walking up.

Elyza must have had enough, because she takes my wrist and pulls me inside. She takes us through the garage door and into a small office. As soon as were inside, she spins around on me. She talks in a lower than normal voice. It's quiet. And a little scary.

"When we have a possible enemy not 50ft away, you can't let any weaknesses be known. You can't shout them out for them to fucking hear."

I pull her sleeve up again and show her the bites. I fight the urge to sob at the sight of them. "You aren't healing, Elyza. I don't fucking care about anything else. Frag em op! I don't care! I'll fucking go kill him myself."

"I'm going to be fine, Alicia. My cell regeneration is slowed, but I won't die." She pulls her arm away. She feels warmer than normal, and I'm really starting to freak the fuck out.

"How do you know? What's the longest you have gone without sleeping and how has it effected you? Have you gone this long before without sleeping, and gotten bit?" Angry tears are starting to fall.

"No, but I've been pushed to great limits with the testing at Red Weather, I know better than anyone what my body can handle. I can't sleep yet. It's too dangerous. If I sleep my body will shut down to protect itself. Maree is hurt and can't fight, if  the Corp finds us. There is still the prisoner to deal with. If I sleep now I'll be out for several hours. I can't risk it."