Chapter 2

My thanks to PeetaLuv for the awesome image on the right! <3

Please comment and vote!!!

___________________________________

Once I get to my homeroom, I slump down in a seat in the back. I’ve never really been affected by guys until just now. I mean, I have my own opinions on who’s good-looking, or nice, or crazy, but I haven’t been blown away by any particular guy. I guess it’s partly because I stay within my group of friends, not really bothering to get to know others well enough. And while I’ve definitely seen Eddie around – it’s hard not to when he and his group basically rule the school – I haven’t had close contact with him. I have to admit, he is really good-looking. With dirty blond hair and those penetrating green eyes, all on a toned 6’5” frame, he would be any girl’s dream. Add to that the fact that he’s the captain of every worthwhile sport at our school, and he automatically becomes the one every girl wants and the one every guy wants to be. Of course, he knows that, which is why I can’t ever act on these weird butterflies in my stomach. I know if I ever did, I would totally be chewed up and spit back out before I even understood what was happening. There’s a reason why I stayed away from the MP in the first place.

I just had to keep remembering all those times that I was the subject of his taunts. Even though it was a long time ago, I doubt he’s reformed his ways. He still bullies the rest of the student body, and the MP gets away with everything. Even that encounter in the hallway should be enough to remind me to keep my distance.

Sighing again to myself, I head out of homeroom and to English. Matt, Leigh and Chris are in the class with me, so at least I won’t be by myself. This year’s curriculum is all about British literature, which means we’re starting off with group projects on different Jane Austen books. While I’m a fan, I really don’t want to spend the next few weeks thinking about arrogant and devilishly handsome men like Mr. Darcy…and Eddie.

Walking from English to US History, I manage to catch up to Lindy and tell her about my encounter with the guys. She’s totally against my reverting to my old clothes and glasses, but I knew she would be. If anything, Lindy has been my biggest supporter (and pain in the neck) regarding my physical transformation. Seeing me as kind of like the ugly duckling, she’s determined for everyone to recognize my “true inner beauty,” as she puts it. My retort is always something along the lines of, “Why do I have to show skin in order for that to happen?”

Fortunately, the rest of the morning passes by uneventfully. I’ve got a packed schedule with Latin and Pre-Calculus before finally getting a break with lunch. The afternoon consists of double Chemistry and gym. That’s probably the best thing about my schedule – ending with gym so I don’t have to feel gross all day.

I enter the cafeteria with Matt and Leigh, a bit late since somehow our Pre-Calc teacher managed to run over on the first day when there wasn’t even a lesson. I see Lindy, Chris and Steve already seated at a table. Of course, they had to pick a table only one down from the mini-pack, so I’ll be able to hear most of what they say, whether or not I want to. I go to stand in the hot foods line with Matt, not even really looking where I’m going since I’m trying to make sure none of the MP guys have spotted me. 

“Oof. Sorry.” I quickly look up to see I had bumped into someone waiting in line. He turns around slowly and oh crap, it’s Eddie.

“You know, if you wanted to touch me, you only need to ask. There’s no need for you to pretend to bump into me.” He gives a sly smile while slowly raking me over with his eyes.

I give him my best glare and turn around to face Matt, all the while knowing that he can hear the rapid staccato of my heartbeat. Damn it. I am so not ready for these kinds of situations. I’m amazed that I even managed to go for two years without attracting anyone’s attention. I guess my luck was bound to run out.