Chapter 15

“What the heck is going on? Henry – get your hands off my best friend!”

Startled, the two of them quickly turned their heads toward me and Lindy hopped off the counter. Both had ridiculous smiles on their faces. While they were no longer hugging, Henry had wrapped his arm around Lindy’s waist while she held his free hand.

“Hey Ceci. I guess you’ll be the first to know!,” gushed Lindy.

“The first to know what?” 

“Henry’s my mate!” 

“What?!?!”

“Haha – it’s not that ridiculous. You don’t have to act so shocked, lil sis." 

“I’m not…it’s just…how did this happen?!,” I sputtered. I was basically dumbfounded at the thought of my brother and my best friend together, forever.

“Uhh…pretty much the normal way. I looked at her, she looked at me,” shrugged Henry, who was obviously basking in my astonishment.

“Yea, I get that. But how come you didn’t find out sooner. I mean, Lindy changed back in March while you were still in school with us.”

“Ceci – it’s not like Henry and I ever saw each other though. We were sophomores while he was a senior, so we never had the same classes,” replied Lind. “The only time I would have ever seen him is when I came over here, but we always hung out in your room and he was in his.”

That made sense. Our school was pretty big, so the administration divided lunch over two periods with juniors and seniors eating first, then freshmen and sophomores the next period. They did the same thing with gym classes since they didn’t want the scrawny underclassmen getting completely owned. Plus, while Henry and I got along fine, it’s not like we sought each other out for company. But still…Henry and Lindy?! The two of them didn’t make sense. Kind of like how Eddie and I didn’t make sense. I know the saying about how opposites attract, but fate sure had a way of picking mates.

“That’s…great. I’m happy for you two. I really am. It’s just going to take me a while to get used to,” I finally managed to say.

“Tell me about it. When I first found out, I finally understood how you felt when you saw Eddie.”

“Huh? Eddie? Eddie DeForest? What does he have to do with this?,” asked Henry.

“Uhhh…sorry Ceci,” Lindy said sheepishly before turning to Henry. “Eddie is Ceci’s mate but they’re taking it slowly.”

“WHAT?!”

“Geez Henry, and you thought I was being ridiculous?,” I said sarcastically.

“You better sit down and tell me everything. Do mom and dad know? How come no one told me? Why don’t you want to be mates with him?” Hmmm –Henry was just as demanding as Lindy. Maybe they really were meant for each other.

I moved to the den, sat down on the loveseat and squirmed, trying to get comfortable. Henry and Lindy sat side by side on the larger couch. They hadn’t once broken physical contact. I figured it would take some time getting Henry caught up on my drama and I wanted to get it done before our parents came home. I didn’t want to have to deal with them too.

“I haven’t told mom and dad yet, and I really don’t want them to find out right now. I’ll tell them once I figure things out. I’m just not sure I’m ready to deal with having a mate. Eddie and I like each other, a lot, but we’re really different socially and he’ll have the responsibility of the pack to think of. I don’t want to be tied down yet – to anyone or any place. You know how it is. It’s the same reason you decided to go to college in Michigan and not closer to us.”