Chapter 19

A bit of a slower pace this chapter. I thought Ceci and Eddie deserved a break. :o)

________________________________

It’s amazing how life can continue on as normal when everything else is crashing down around you. Since no one else knew the danger we all faced, I walked back into the den to the sounds of laughter and joy. Lindy and Matt looked at me curiously, but I just put on a bright smile and shook my head.

“It was just some stuff about yesterday. I think they wanted to reassure me that everything was okay.”

They both still looked concerned but were wise enough not to say anything. The three of us had been friends long enough to be able to read each other’s emotions. They knew something bad was up but that I couldn’t talk about it. 

I didn’t want them to know anyway. If I could, I wanted to shield them from all of this, keep them protected. Otherwise, I knew that they would try to help, which meant that then they too would be in harm’s way. I couldn’t have that. It was bad enough thinking about what might happen to them in the event of a battle. It was better for them to be wary but in the dark, cautious but not frightened.

Eddie and I did our best to act normal, be happy, have fun. We did mostly okay, but I definitely caught him a couple times tensing up or looking uneasy. For the most part, it was easy to get caught up in the moment, to join in on conversations and stuff ourselves with food. I think our friends also consciously tried to lighten the mood. Amber was still on the back of everyone’s mind, but, for a few hours at least, we were able to keep her there.

After three football games, at least two rounds of food, and two toasts to the new couples, people slowly started making their way back to their homes. Thanksgiving, for everyone who hadn’t been in my dad’s office, had been a resounding success. Eddie pulled me aside after everyone was finally gone.

“I’m going to pick you up at ten tomorrow morning, okay?”

“Uh, okay. Why?"

“Because we’re going on a date – our first date. And we’re going to be gone all day, so don’t make any other plans.”

“And if I had other plans?,” I couldn’t resist teasing.

“Then cancel them. I need to be with you, spend time alone with you. Having everyone around today was nice, but it really needs to be just you and me tomorrow. Please,” he said, his eyes pleading.

“I know. I feel the same way. So much has happened the past two days that I want to be able to get away from it all with you, even if it’s only a temporary escape. What are we going to be doing?”

Eddie’s eyes twinkled. He had been so stressed all day that it was nice to see him relaxing again.  “It’s a secret. We’ll be walking around some outside, so you’ll probably want a jacket and comfortable shoes.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll see you in the morning then. I wish I could stay with you tonight, but maybe it’s better this way. It’ll have you anticipating tomorrow more.”

“Haha – being a bit cocky, aren’t we? What about if I don’t like whatever it is we’re going to be doing? Do I get a refund?”

“Naw – no refunds. But you won’t be disappointed. I know enough about you to know how to make you happy,” he said, as he leaned in for a kiss.

This kiss was sweet, soft, slow. It was full of regret for what had happened but also promised a better tomorrow. It expressed everything we wanted to say to each other – our tenderness for one another, our worries, our hopes, our desire. Everything we couldn’t express, everything we didn’t have words for, everything we didn’t have the courage to say. It was the perfect kiss to end the day. It closed one awful chapter in our lives, and alluded to the beginning of a beautiful new one. This one kiss swept away all thoughts so that even with all of the danger still present, I was able to get caught up in this moment of perfection.