Chapter 11

It was getting late and I was beyond confused and starting to feel scared. I had no idea why I was hearing voices, but I was without a doubt hearing them. It was actually only one voice, his, but it was still worrying me.

I stood up and flicked me head back in the direction of my house. He nodded as if in understanding and came over to me.

“I had a lot of fun. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?,” I heard as he nuzzled his face against mine. Since his mouth wasn’t actually moving, and since I seriously doubted wolves could talk, I just nodded, acknowledging his words but not knowing what else to do. He obviously couldn’t understand me since he wasn’t responding to the fact that I thought I was going crazy. If he could hear my thoughts, the least he could do as my mate was try to lessen my worries.

We parted ways and I wandered back to where I had stashed my clothes. I didn’t hear another peep the entire time, and was again considering if I actually had imagined the whole thing.

As I approached my house, I heard the distant peal of my cell phone. I ran the rest of the way and found my phone in my bag where I had left it in my room. I had four missed calls, five texts and at least one new voicemail.

“Hey – Matt wants to go for pizza b4 the game 2moro. Ok?”

“Hello…waiting for a response here.”

“Where r u?”

I didn’t bother reading the rest of the texts or checking the voicemail since they were all probably from Lindy. She seriously worried too much. 

“Hello? Where were you? I’ve been calling and texting you for over an hour!”

“Geez, calm down ‘mom.’ I went for a run.”

“Oh. Matt said that was probably what you were doing. So did you catch your reflection in the water or something?

“Crap, no. I forgot again.” 

“I can’t believe you’ve been a wolf for four days and you still don’t know what you look like.”

“Yea, well, it’s just not a big deal to me.”

“It should be. Anyway, I was calling because Matt wants to meet up before the game. So we’ll pick you up at noon okay?”

“Sounds good to me. Hey Lind?”

“Yea?”

“Are you supposed to be able to hear other wolves while in your wolf form?,” I asked. 

Lindy was quiet for a few seconds. “Uhh…what makes you think that?”

“I was just wondering. I actually saw Eddie in the woods and I swear that I heard his voice a couple of times.” 

“Are you sure?,” she inquired, her voice low and strained.

“Yea. But it didn’t seem like he could hear me. I’ve never heard of weres being able to communicate with each other, so I figured I would ask you.”

“Ceci, I’m going to come over, okay? Don’t talk to anyone until I get there.”

“What? Why? Is there something wrong with me?” I was starting to get freaked out by Lindy’s reaction. She was never usually so serious, and she was avoiding answering my questions. 

“Nothing’s wrong with you. I just have to explain it to you in person, okay?”

As I hung up the phone, I wondered what had gotten Lindy so spooked. Was it really bad if I could hear Eddie? Maybe it was a mating thing? But then my parents had never said anything about being able to do that with each other. I wish Lindy had given me some clue. Instead, she had to be cryptic and leave me to nervously pace my room until she got here. I wrung my hands together and huffed, frustrated with my best friend.