Chapter 36

So this is likely going to be the last chapter for at least five or six days. I know I usually upload more often, but it’s the holidays and I have family coming over. Sorry!

Another long one for you. I probably could have cut out a couple of pages, but I didn’t since I didn’t have time to edit.

Comment/vote/fan – you know…the usual. :)

­­­­­­­___________________________

Recap

I didn’t answer him. I heard her thoughts before I heard her move. I was just able to push her arm away right before the needle plunged into my neck. It bounced off of the wall and fell to the floor, now shattered. Twisting my torso, I looked behind me. I wasn’t in the best position to be able to defend us, since Eddie’s head was still in my lap, but I took some comfort in the fact that she wouldn’t be able to drug either of us now.

It didn’t take long for Eddie to realize what had happened. His reaction time was slower than normal, and I heard him groan as he moved his body into a sitting position. We were both now on edge, as I kept scanning the area to make sure she didn’t surprise us. But nothing.

She had disappeared. Again.

___________________________

Chapter 36

I don’t know how long we watched and waited for Amber to come back, but she didn’t. Eddie and I both eventually let down our guard somewhat. We were still really tense, but I had a feeling she wouldn’t be back for at least a little while. She didn’t know how to interact with people anymore and it seemed like she scared easily. She had backed off in both her human and wolf forms as soon as she felt cornered, so I highly doubted she would reappear while she was outnumbered.

I let out the breath I had been holding. We had bought ourselves some time. Now I just had to figure out how to transport us back to Eddie’s house.

I looked over at my mate. Eddie was still naked, which I don’t think he realized until he shivered. The expression on his face actually made me chuckle. It changed from confusion, to shock, to embarrassment in a matter of seconds. At the sound of my laughter, Eddie looked up at me, amusement dancing in his eyes.

“Bad Buttercup. I know you like looking at my body, but you could have told me earlier that I’ve been sitting here without any clothes on,” he mock-scolded, wagging his finger at me. 

I giggled again. “Sorry. You’re just so irresistible,” I replied sarcastically, rolling my eyes at the same time.

“I know.” Eddie grinned before slowly putting his clothes on. I knew that his body was still aching, so I waited until he was completely dressed before speaking. 

“Soooo…any idea how I can trigger Amber’s ability so I can get us out of here?”

He quickly turned his head in my direction. “You don’t know?”

“Nope. I was trying to visit you in my mind, and instead, I ended up actually here.”

“Oh.”

Neither of us said anything for a while. I knew we were both thinking the same thing – crap. After a couple minutes, I tugged on Eddie’s sleeve and motioned for him to move up against the wall. If our backs were leaning on it, Amber wouldn’t be able to sneak up on us from behind. It was the best defense we had at the moment, and it meant we could relax a little bit more while we tried to figure out how to get out of here.

As soon as we were settled into our new positions, Eddie grabbed my hand and began caressing it, flipping it back and forth.

“I can’t believe you’re here. I thought for a minute that I would never see you again. But now I wish you weren’t. I wish you didn’t have to be here with me, in danger,” he whispered as he continued to stroke my hand.