Solomon's Child Part 11

"I've gotten far too old for this." Makarov moaned as he ran a hand down his face. It had been a little under a week since the events of the Phantom Lord war and things were only just starting to get back to normal. The Magic council had shown up within an hour after Makarov finished off Jose and had been interviewing everyone involved ever since. Makarov had actually been surprised at the speed of their response, as the Magic Council was never one to act with any speed.

Makarov watched the clouds lazily move across the sky from his perch on the side of the magic council branch building. The council had at long last called him in to testify on what had happened. The Wizard Saint explained the fight as best he could, and to his surprise he was dismissed quite quickly from the trial.

"So this is where you went Macky." Makarov heard the voice of one of his oldest friends, Yajima, call out as the magic council member took a seat right beside him. "I've come to inform you of the council's decision."

Makarov couldn't help but gulp in nervousness, Fairy Tail was always on thin ice with the magic council and with this most recent fight they had broken at least ten clauses of the guild charters. It wouldn't be shocking if every member of the guild was banned from the magical world for the rest of their lives.

Yajima paused for a second before continuing, whether he was gathering his thoughts or building the suspense Makarov couldn't tell as both were equally as likely. "Jose Porla will be stripped of his titles and will be brought before the court to answer for his crimes...As for Fairy Tail...consider this a warning."

Makarov's head shot around to stare at his friend in shock. "Seriously? I mean, I expected Jose to lose his titles, but you won't be punishing us? Won't that cause more problems for the council if we get away without punishment?"

Yajima remained silent for another second before turning to Makarov, his face more serious than normal. "Let's just say...that one of your members has quite some pull with the Magic council."

The two sat in silence for a moment, each dueling with their own thoughts, but after a few seconds Makarov worked up the courage to ask the question that had been at the back of his mind since the end of the battle. "Is it because of Subject One?"

Makarov could see Yajima tense slightly for a second before sighing in defeat. "I see...so Jose couldn't keep his mouth shut about that huh?" Makarov's old friend looked at him with an almost angry look, but what he was angry at Makarov couldn't tell. "Are you sure you want to know? What that child's suffered through would be more than enough to break most people. Are you certain that you want to know her truths?"

Makarov remained silent for a second as he thought back to Lucy. The poor girl had yet to regain consciousness after the events of the battle. She had been admitted to the Magnolia hospital for treatment but her doctor had not been hopeful, saying that with such a deep cut on her back she would be lucky to survive and at best would never walk again.

Makarvo's kids had been devastated at that news, particularly Natsu, whom Makarov had to throw into the water in order to keep him from burning down even more of the city, and Levy, who after waking up with the rest of team Shadow Gear had collapsed into tears at hearing the state of her friend.

And that was only the extent of what Makarov had been willing to share with the members of Fairy Tail. Lucy's doctor had informed him in private, as Lucy had never revealed her last name or any known family making Makarov her technical caretaker, that Lucy's bones had undergone numerous fractures over the years. And that wasn't even the worst of it. The doctor had gone on to explain that Lucy's chest and back were covered in old incisions scars, meaning that someone had taken a scalpel to her skin long ago and often enough to leave evidence. And to top it all off there was the dragon shaped scar that was carved unto her chest.