Solomon's Child Part 14

"Gray? May I ask you a question?...Are you certain that this is normal for a beach?" Lucy questioned with furrowed eyebrows as she watched people jump into the ocean.

"Yes Lucy, for the third time, this is what you do at the beach. You make sand castles, or swim, or play ball. You just...do something." Gray answered as he placed the finishing touches on his massive sand castle.

"...And you're being truthful when you say that this isn't just a joke that I don't get."

Gray had finally had enough as he jumped up and shot Lucy an exasperated look. "Seriously Lucy! You didn't have this much trouble accepting the spas so why do you have so much issue with the beach?"

"That's simple; hot springs are well known for their medicinal properties. On the other hand, the sea is not useful to me in any way, only damaging hair and causing damage to my throat though its salty nature." Lucy responded as she readjusted her swim suit, thankful that Erza had prepared a one piece of her, as she didn't feel like fielding questions about her scars to curious children.

Gray opened his mouth to argue, preparing to defend the many wonders of a beach day including bikinis, but stopped when a realization hit him. "Hey Lucy...what do you do when you go home?"

"Hm? What do you mean?"

"I mean like, what do you do when you finish your day at Fairy Tail what do you go do?"

Lucy turned to look at her black haired teammate, not really certain if he was once again try to tell a joke. "I go home of course. Prepare a dinner, and go to bed."

"No I mean, what do you do for fun? You know, like how I pick fights with Flame Brain or how Erza always has cake nearby. What do you do for entertainment?"

"Ah...I don't do "entertainment." Lucy admitted, smiling nervously at Gray's shocked face. "Back at the institute my time was spent entirely on training, experimentation, or missions. And since then I've only been moving based on my mom's final wish so I generally don't seek out fun. I understand the concept from talks with my mom but I haven't really experienced it much in my life."

Gray couldn't help but sigh as he rubbed his forehead. "Wow, Mira's plan isn't going to happen too soon if this is the starting point."

"Mira's plan? What plan?" Lucy questioned, Gray seizing up for a moment before laughing it off.

"Don't worry about it...but what to do now to make you have fun?" Gray replied before crossing his arms and closing his eyes in concentration for a brief second before smiling and clapping his hands together. " Heh, I've got an idea. Come with me Lucy."

Gray ended up leading Lucy to a shop on the beach where one could rent both a sea creature that Lucy couldn't identify along with a wooden flotation device attached to said creature.

"Here ya go Lucy, I want you to ride on one of these things as long as you can ok?" Gray told her as he handed her the reigns, Lucy taking them obediently with a confused look on her face.

"But why? Is this supposed to be some sort of test?"

"Just trust me Lucy." Gray returned, but before Lucy could begin her aquatic adventure Natsu stormed up with a pout on his face.

"Luce, you weren't planning to go without me were you?"

"Uhh...I guess so? No one has exactly told me what I'm doing."

"Well then you're in luck!" Natsu shouted as he smiled arrogantly and pounded his chest with his fist. "Because I just so happen to be an expert on this...what are we doing again?"