Solomon's Child Part 31

Lucy couldn't help but plant her hands on her knees as she fought to get her breathing under control, the sweat pouring down her head occasionally blinding her as it fell from her eyelashes. The attackers, while individually not very powerful, were numerable, and fighting them off had been far more of a challenge than Lucy had expected. Dodge an attack, move away, counter-attack. Make use of Wendy's enchantment while it lasts. Attack yet again. Avoid being caught in the crossfire between Mira and her opponents. Coordinate with Lisanna to deal with a particularly troublesome opponent. Ignore the pain in her side from a bad hit. It had been absolute chaos, and if it weren't for Dragon Lucy's ability to process battlefield stimuli faster than Lucy herself, she was certain she would have fared far worse.

"Is everyone alright? Wendy? Lucy?" Mira called out as she released her magic and rushed to her sisters' side, the other white-haired mage having fallen to her knees in exhaustion.

"I'm fine. Wendy?" Lucy called out as she gingerly began to check her side, the blonde mage praying silently that she hadn't broken any ribs in the chaos. She could hardly afford to waste any magic on the Weave if there were still enemies nearby.

"Y-Yes! I'm ok. But you're not Lucy." Wendy answered as she rushed over and carefully inspected Lucy's ribs, the elemental summoner sucking in a pained breath when the younger mage accidentally touched her wound. "They're defiantly bruised, if not broken. I need to heal this."

"...Understood, but don't heal it fully Wendy. You need to conserve your Ethernano for the others. Considering how strong our opponents are, it's likely the others are going to be injured too." Lucy conceded, having determined that yes, her damaged ribs would be a hindrance in the coming battles.

"Ok! Now please sit still." Wendy agreed after a second before turning her attention to Lucy's stomach, her hands glowing with a green light as she placed them on her side. The pain almost instantly lessening as the magic took effect.

It was then that Lisanna approached, the younger white-haired girl looking more than a little anxious.

"Mira's making sure that the unconscious mages are secured..." The animal soul mage announced as she gazed around at the devastation their small camp had endured. "...This is awful. Wh-why is this happening?" She asked, almost to herself, her question mirroring the one Wendy had asked only minutes ago.

But this time Lucy had an answer to give, not that the answer would give her any comfort. "I heard one of the attackers shout out "For Lord Zeref!" When they landed, so it appears that for whatever reason they believe the dark mage is here." The blonde-haired mage announced as she scanned the tree line. There had been something there during their fight, a...presence she couldn't quite pin down. But it had vanished during the chaos of their brawl. Was it an enemy? And if so, why hadn't they come out yet? Was it just a scouting party? Regardless, Lucy didn't want to draw attention to it until necessary, in order to allow the others more time to recover.

"Z-Zeref?! As in the dark mage Zeref?!" Lisanna shouted out, Lucy nodding her head in confirmation.

"I doubt it would be any other Zeref."

"But...He's dead! Has been for like four hundred years! Why would they come to our guilds sacred land to look for a dead dark mage?" Lisanna shouted out as Mira returned to the group, the older Strauss sibling looking grim at the mention of the father of all dark magic.

"I don't know. While I was in the institute, I was trained to fight against Zeref's demons, but Jude Heartfilia never made mention of the mage who created them so I don't have any information on him." Lucy admitted before holding up a mask that had been on one of the many attackers they had just fought off. "But look at this, this symbol here on their masks is the same symbol that the dark guild Grimoire Heart uses. So, we at least know who is attacking us now."