25 one year post hogwarts: eighteenth letter

It is with utmost regret that I inform you that I will not be returning to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to repeat my seventh year. I have opted to availing the services of a tutor. But be informed that I will follow the same syllabus as the one within the walls.

Yours in good fortune,

Draco Lucius Malfoy

It had been a good reply letter. Yes. He's quite-- no, not just quite, not teetering around the edges-- absolutely sure about all this. This is definitely the way to go. No doubt, no second guesses. He put the letter in an envelope and sealed it, not forgetting to imprint the emerald green wax with the immaculate family seal.

The Head Boy pin caught the ray of sun against it's silver edges. It came with the letter. Ghastly thing to be honest, it will not match his new custom made cufflinks. He has been into platinum lately, silver has lost it's all too familiar luster.

...have been chosen as the new Head Boy. Wear this pin as a symbol of the responsibility that comes with it.

He closed his eyes and breathed, pretending that he hasn't read the letter over and over and not memorized it's contents. Who needs responsibilities? He can just stay at home and drink tea and eat crumpets in the afternoon and read his notes at leisure. He has had a long run with trouble, he definitely deserves it.

Definitely.

The Head Boy pin glinted towards him again, as if trying it's best to seduce him.

No. You're not going to pull me back there again. He played around with it on his open palm, feeling it's cold, smooth surface and letting himself get pricked by the needle beneath. You're not marvelous enough or particularly brilliant--

Brilliant.

That reminds him...

Of course, who else would be the new Head Girl? Hermione sodding Granger that's who.

Draco sneered like it has been the first time he had the inkling when in fact it had been there in the back of his mind constituting to his lack of sleep and lack of appetite-- best of luck with the crumpets and tarts now, mate-- ever since the bloody beginning. He had the very thought the moment he touched the Head Boy pin, like the Head Boy and Head Girl pins were connected somehow and she just touched hers and so he knew it was her. Who else is there anyway?

The very thought that he can't remember any other eligible girl in Hogwarts was alarming.

But why does he care? As of now, he's not a Hogwarts student anymore. Voldemort is dead as dead can be, everyone watched as he disintegrated in the air. Everything is back to normal whatever that maybe.

Or at least what everyone wanted it to be.

He remembered the way Hermione looked at the Weasel. Apparently not everything.

It's the most peculiar thing. Craving something that you've never had. Having a broken heart without even getting the chance to give it to the object of affection. Draco could always find a way to meet his ends but he was not sure if he wanted to. Maybe Hermione Granger does belong with someone who can make her happy and not just someone who drinks tea and eats crumpets to hide himself from shame.

But not the Weasel, definitely not him.

Much more Head Boy.

If that happens Draco would storm in the castle with enough tenacity and viciousness that Voldemort will be rolling in his grave saying 'why hadn't I thought of that?'.