34 yours in uncertainty|| pt. 2

Hermione Granger was against the whole idea, right from the very start. Something from the pits of her guts tells her that all of this is leading straight to a trap. But she has always been a clever girl, brave enough to take risks if it means saving her bestfriend and Dumbledore's Army from Umbridge's literal claws.

They were able to be rid of Umbridge. It doesn't matter now that the centaurs hate her for it, they helped them.

But a new problem was resurfacing.

Besides the members of the D.A. was an extra person.

Said person was struggling against a body bind curse between Ron and Ginny. Said person is swearing up and down that Harry is going to die if he goes to the Department of Mysteries. Said person managed to headbutt Neville even with his whole body frozen. Said person refused to look her in the eye. Said person is the saddest, meanest person she has ever met. But also arguably-- mostly to her self-- the most beautiful.

"We're taking him with us," Ron said, anger lacing his deep voice. "They've got Sirius and now we've got this git. Sounds just about right, ain't it?"

"Ron, I don't think--"

"Hermione, this is not the time for thinking, this is for doing! We voted on this!" Neville and Ginny seemed to agree. Ron's bright blue eyes were wide with expectation. He had always had high expectations of her. Like how he expected that she and him... Him and her... That somehow they'd end up together at some point like it was supposed to be. Like everyone is in on the idea. Everyone aside from her.

Screw her for being her own person.

Despite everything-- another evidence of her stubbornness-- she still refused to believe that Draco meant everything he did. Everything about this whole ordeal confuses her.

"I think he might be my cousin," Luna blank pointedly mentioned, her voice soft and dreamy, like she was discussing him over tea and scones.

"We don't have time for this, we either take him or knock him out! Sirius could be dead as we speak!" Harry shouted in agitation, "If you don't take this seriously as I do then I'd rather go alone. My godfather needs me."

His words pierced Hermione and she held his hand. "We're with you, Harry."

Harry nodded with apprehension and squeezed her hand.

The Boy Who Lived will always need the Brightest Witch of Her Age. Just as much as she needs him.

It should go without saying that the rest is history.

But it will not go that way, not with Draco Malfoy's name added to the list that Death had to choose from.

----------------

Draco Malfoy didn't expect to end his fifth year in Hogwarts like this.

Not like a sack of luggage carried on the shoulder of a gaptoothed, redhead sent by the devil himself to antagonize him. What a ballsack.

"Look over there, Weasley. That tank has more brains than all of your clan," he pointed out just to have something to say. Everyone was scared shitless, he knows that if push comes to shove Weasley will abandon him there and there without a second fleeting thought.

He doesn't want-- can't be dispensable, he's Draco Malfoy!

To his surprise the Weasel didn't spit fire at him but merely walked towards the gigantic aquarium of swimming brains as if on a trance. "Brains... Brains... Brains..."

"Oy, Weasley! Snap the fuck out of it, will you? I'm on your shoulder, you daft goon! For fu--"

He couldn't contain his scream as a brain flew from the tank and attached its tentacles right at Weasley's torso. His body hit the ground the same time as Draco felt the curse get lifted from his body. They were the only two in the brain room, the doors revolved too fast for anyone else to be with them. He got his wand from Weasley's back pocket just in time to protect himself from latching brains. They were soppy and soggy against the floor, slapping sloppily against the flat surface, he had to pull the Weasel towards the god forsaken door just because Hermione will have an episode of something definitely unpleasant if the useless log wood dies.