Draco Malfoy's Trick

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I leave the Great Hall after we had our fill of lunch (Ron being the last one to finish, like always). Our minds were on Quidditch, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Harry was on the team, as well. He was a Chaser, and had been recruited when Professor McGonagall dragged me away. I'm not really sure why, maybe the Gryffindor team thought flying genes were embedded into us, but it would be fun to have him by my side like usual.

We were rudely awoken from our good moods. The moment we opened the giant double doors of the Great Hall, we saw Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle leaning against the wall. It was as though they had been waiting for us, which is likely.

Dramatic prats, I thought scathingly.

"If it isn't the Potters, the Mudblood, and the weasel," Malfoy drawled, his glassy gray eyes glinting cruelly.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Harry asked coldly.

"I want to put you in your place," Malfoy answered simply. "Tonight, if you want, a wizard duel - only wands... you do know what a wizard duel is, right?"

"Of course he does!" Ron lied easily and impulsively. "I'm Harry's second. Who's yours?"

Malfoy laughed in amusement, then tilted his pointy chin up snootily. "I would have thought that Potter would have chosen his sister. She is, after all, a better choice than you, Weasel-"

I barked out a laugh. "Ha! I have better things to do with my life than meeting you at midnight, Malfoy. Besides, I'd rather poke my own eyes out with a needle than see you more than I already have to."

Malfoy's pale cheeks turned a pallid pink. Wrinkling his nose in disgust, he looked me up and down, like I was the most sickening thing he'd ever seen. "Associating with Mudbloods, a Gryffindor, a halfblood; I never thought I'd be more repulsed." 

He was taunting me, I knew he was, but – dang it! - he knew which buttons to push. "Stop calling Hermione that, Malfoy!” I snapped. My eyesight was hazing red.

If he noticed, he didn't show it. He probably thought that he was safe with his little bodygaurds; but I'd take them down, too. "And even worse, your a disgusting know-it-all."

I snarled and lunged, but Hermione grabbed my arm and held me back. I didn't know which was worse; Hermione standing there and taking the insults, or the fact that Malfoy wasn't intimidated in the slightest.

“So tell me, Baby Potter,” he drawled, making me want to punch him. “How did you escape expulsion? Did you beg?”

I struggled against Hermione, who was unbelievably strong for a bookworm. “Don't you dare call me that again, filth,” I said through gritted teeth.

“Why should I listen to a halfblood who follows Mudbloods around like a lost puppy?" Malfoy retorted, his gray eyes brightening.

That did it; I snapped. With my arms pinned to my side by Hermione, I used my other limbs. I swung my leg upward with such speed that no one saw it coming. It was the hardest kick I had ever done in my life, and it was perfect aim. My foot his Malfoy right where it hurt, and I took satisfaction in hearing the strangled gasp that escaped his throat. Out of surprise, Hermione let me go, her hands flying to her 'O' shaped mouth to stifle a sound of astonishment.

This was a big mistake.

I saw red, and only red. Malfoy got up, not yet recovering from his shock and pain, but not wanting me to get away with hurting him again. Looking back on it, I'm not sure who threw the first punch, but suddenly we leaped towards each other and dragged ourselves onto the floor. I was throwing my fists around like I've never done before, not feeling the blows made to me. Malfoy tried to pin me down, but I wasn't having it – with a sharp swing to his face, I managed to distract him enough to roll us over, and then I was on top.