Hermione is Back

I stood in front of my brother, my hands on my hips and my foot tapping on the rug-covered floor. I had just walked in on him disappearing under the cloak, right in the middle of the Common Room.

“You should be more secretive about this,” I scolded him. “We can get caught.”

“Sorry,” Harry grumbled, poking his head out.

“See! That's what I mean!” I shoved his head back inside the cloak so that it didn't look like I was talking to my bodiless brother. “Let me under.”

“Visiting the mirror?” Harry whispered.

I nodded. “And we're bringing my new friend, too.”

“What?” Harry gave me an angry glare. “You told someone else about our cloak?”

Yes,” I said, and once we were outside of the Common Room, I pointed to Bonnie, who was hiding slightly in the shadows. “That's her.”

“She's a Slytherin,” Harry pointed out as we approached her.

“Not only a Slytherin, Harry,” I smirked knowingly. “She's a nice Slytherin.”

Bonnie's head snapped up, her face pale in the dark. She extended her hand out in front of her, as though trying to grasp something. “Who's there?” she said, and her voice bounced off the walls. “Nixie, is that you?”

“Duh,” I poked my head out of the cloak. She gasped in surprise then jumped back, still not used to the idea of a cloak giving someone invisibility. “Calm down! You're going to wake the entire castle,” I held up the cloak. “Now get under.”

She obeyed. When she slipped under, I introduced her and Harry and we moved forward, all of us hungry to see the mirror.

Finding the mirror was easier than it had been before because we've been seeing it for quite some time, now. And it was more fun, since Bonnie didn't whine like Ronald had.

Harry got to look in the mirror first, like always. Bonnie and I stood to the side while he stared longingly at our parents. The blonde Slytherin had a more interesting life than I had thought she did; after my first week at Hogwarts, I'd assumed that all Slytherins spent their entire life just thinking of ways to be cruel to their classmates.

That's how her and Hermione were different. When I was with Hermione, I felt like there had never been any more intelligent witches, that no one had the potential that we naturally possessed. But when I was with Bonnie, I was constantly learning new things that had nothing to do with intellect. They both made me stronger in different areas.

I wondered how Hermione would react to the Slytherin girl standing in front of me.

“Bonnie's turn, Harry,” I said to him when Bonnie's earnest glances to the mirror became more frequent.