Chapter 2

At dinner , Cait called the under eleven's down first , to the kitchen , where they scoffed down their fish fingers and beans on toast within seconds . Half an hour later , she cam looking fr the rest of us , and brought us into the kitchen .

“Chicken and pasta tonight” She told , us passing out the plates . “Meg , give that to Becca , Terri, pass that on to Sam ...”

When we all sat down with our plates in front of us , Cait began to tell us her news . “All of you here have been assigned to one of two social workers , Kiara or John . They both have the same boss , Tomas Markey , who has recently signed a contract for a charity event called Second Chance . “

This was what Cait and John had been talking about earlier , I realized .

“Second Chance is providing homes for children … well , like you . Up for adoption . It is , getting adopted . It is , a second chance at family life .”

Terri , a girl who had been here all her sixteen years and never ceased shoving it in my face , rolled her eyes . “We're up for adoption any time . Whenever they want , people can come and adopt us . How does charity come into that ?”

Cait grimaced . Obviously she had been hoping nobody would mention that . “Well , you are the charity “ She answered awkwardly . Hisses and glares were passed around the table , followed by sighs and avoiding looking in each other's eyes .

“But to answer your other comment , Terri “ Cait said , sounding brighter now , “ There is a key point in this charity work . You will be adopted by , well , celebrities , I suppose you could call them .”

“Seriously!” Terri cried , “We're all getting adopted by famous people !”

Cait looked down awkwardly . “Another catch” I muttered to myself .

“Mr Markey has signed a contract with … what was it … oh ! Hopeless Records . And Hopeless Records are going to pick two or three of their signed bands , to participate in Second Chance . Each band will be assigned two or three Children's Homes,to find a child to adopt .”

“So... There's a chance that none of us could get adopted ?” Terri said slowly . Cait nodded . “Yeah , I guess so . But still it's an honour to be included . And you never know , you could be chosen !”

“When do we find out who gets adopted ?” Asked a small boy , who's name I had no idea .

“The band that gets assigned us , will come around to get to know everyone , sometime this week .”

The boy raised his eyebrows . “So , you don't know who the band is , or when they're coming ?”

Cait shook her head . “Not yet . But I'd say … today is Thursday , right ? Then , they'll probably come around Sunday . Once I get an exact date , don't worry , I'll tell you .”

“Is everyone going to be included , or just the eleven up's ?” Terri asked , wrinkling her nose a little at the idea of being associated with the smaller children . “Just you lot “ Cait answered , “Is that all the questions ?”

We nodded , then left . “Hazel , help me with the dishes ?” Cait asked , as I got up to leave . I shrugged , and nodded . “What do you think of being adopted ?” She said , passing me plates to dry . “It's cool , I guess .”