Chapter 17

Alex Grieco was in the kitchen making coffee . Obviously he had stayed the night before , as he seemed to know the house better than I did , and I had been there about a week now .

“Morning” He said , when he noticed I was there , “Hazel , right ?”

“That's me” I replied . He grinned when he realized he'd got it right .

“I wasn't sure” Grieco explained , “But I remembered Alex telling me that he was teaching you the guitar , and that kind of perked my interest I guess , because you're the only one that plays an instrument .”

“Charles can sing” I offered . He nodded .

“She's the one with the blue necklace , yeah ?”

“Yep . Zack gave her that , she's worn it ever since .”

Grieco nodded , but didn't seem very interested . “How 'bout you get your guitar and we'll jam out ?”

“I thought you played the drums” I asked .

“I do . Rian has a practice pad in the living room , haven't you ever noticed ?”

I shook my head . Grieco didn't seem to mind . “Well , go upstairs and grab your six string girl !”

“Do me a favor and never say that again” I laughed , but did as he said .

Alex , Pommie and Rian were still passed out in their beds , the conversation of Grieco and I not waking them . Depending on how loud the two of us were going to be , they might not stay that way for long .

I picked Steven's guitar up off of my bed , where I'd left it last night .

“Got it” I told Grieco when I came downstairs . He sat behind what looked like a sculpture's twisted vision of a abstract tree ; one main whit pole in the centre , and from theat sprouted many flat , circular pads . Grieco rolled his drumstricks around in his hadn and told me to sit down .

“Okay”Grieco said , “What has Alex taught you so far ?”

“Therapy” I answered .

“Is that it ?”

“Pretty much . Unless you want to count scales and arpeggios .”

“You can do arpeggios on the guitar ?”

To answer , I plucked C E G and a high C . Grieco applauded quietly . I mock bowed .

“Lets start with Therapy , then “ Grieco said . He tapped out four beats on one of the pads , and let me start .

My fingers shook a little as I began to play , although Alex had drilled the finger patterns into me , this was my first time playing in front of anyone but him . As soon as the drums came in though , it was easier , as Grieco began to focus more on them than me . As neither of us could sing , it was a purely instrumental song , not a good one either , as we had only one guitar and no bass . I enjoyed it , though , more than I expected I would .

“Not bad Hazel” Grieco complimented when we'd finished , “Or – what is it Alex calls you ? Halo ?”

“Not you too” I groaned . Grieco grinned . “Halo . It has a nice ring to it . Halo . Suits you .”

“Shut up” I told him . “Lets just play some more .”

“What song ?” Grieco asked .

“How about the Sweater Song?” Alex said from behind us , “You know , Weezer ?”