Chapter 28

Mr Sullivan said that , despite me having to move out , the opening statements had gone very well .

“The fact that the judge wants us to use one of the bigger courtrooms is a good sign” He said enthusiastically , “It means he wants space to bring in as much witnesses as possible , to hear as much points of view as possible , to help him with his decision . Which means that he hasn't got a clue what to do and we're all on equal ground !”

A cheer went around Alex and Rian's living room at this , but despite that everyone was thinking the same thing .

Equal isn't winning .

Alex and I sat on the smallest sofa , squashed up together , not that either of us minded . It seemed to be unwritten rule between both of us that during this night , which could possibly be the last night I would ever spend in this house , we would always be close to each other , and if possible , touching . Right now our knees were bumping off each other , and our sides pressed against the other's two . It was comforting , feeling Alex's body against mine .

When Vinny and Nikki arrived with Chinese food everyone dived in pretty quickly . We were using anything as a distraction from the fact that I wouldn't be here tomorrow – so food fit the bill pretty neatly .

“Boiled or fried rice , Hazel ?” Rian offered .

I shrugged . “Give me a little of both .”

He chuckled . “Rebel .”

I laughed . “I can't help it if I'm a natural born daredevil .”

Jack , being Jack , started a chicken ball fight .

“I'm coming for you , Vinny !”

“Not if I get you first !”

“How about I just do this ?” Sam suggested , before grabbing two handfuls of prawn crackers and chucking the food at both of them .

Needless to say , that ground floor got messed up pretty quickly . Once it got past eleven Alex and Rian kicked everyone out , claiming that Pommie and I needed our sleep .

“Alright , alright , we're going” Jack said , as he and Sam got into his car .

“I never did ask how exactly Jack got his licence” I told Alex as they drove off . He laughed .

“He slept with the driving instructor .”

I laughed . “God , I love Jack .”

Alex smiled . “Seriously though , Jack isn't as bad a driver as everyone seems to think .”

“Yeah , it's Alex who gets all the road rage”Rian teased . Alex rolled his eyes .

“Halo , Pommie , you might want to go to bed . This could get ugly .”

I couldn't sleep , no matter how I turned my head or where I bent my legs . My eyes stayed persistantly open , my mind buzzing . I thought about Richard , my birth father , and Alex , my new one . I thought about how amazing just these months with Alex had been , and how I was grateful to have spent time with him at all .

I remembered when Cait , my old foster mother had told us which band was coming to look at us . I went to my room and looked at Steven's old CD's , So Wrong It's Right being one of them . I remembered the photo of the band ; all in their underwear . I smiled , getting slowly sleepier . Oh , Alex .

I woke up to Pommie shaking me gently .

“Hazel , Hazel” She whispered urgently .

I grunted . “What is it ?” I asked groggily .