Chapter 23

The next day I woke up to the sound of movement . I could hear Matt and Colussy in the kitchen , and Rian snoring above me . Alex on the bunk across from me , when I opened the curtain , was still fast asleep . So were most people actually , apart from the tour manager and assistant tour manager . Planning on slipping discreetly out of bed , I landed on the bus' floor on my ass with a thump . The two Matts looked at me and laughed .

I frowned . “It's too early to be properly balanced” I grumbled , getting up and dusting myself off . “And when was the last time this bus was hoovered ?”

“That depends . When was this bus built ?” Colussy asked .

Matt shrugged . “By the licence plate , about five years ago .”

Colussy turned to me . “You have your answer, Hazel .”

I rolled my eyes . “Gee , thanks . So , what's for breakfast ?”

“That depends . What -”

I cut Colussy off . “Never mind , you two are no help . Can I borrow some money , I'm going to the shop .”

“In your pyjamas ?”

“Hey , it's a free country . D'you want anything ?”

Matt had handed me a few dollars and instructions to buy milk , but other than that I was free to do as I pleased . The shop range where we'd parked was pretty limited , so I went to a grocery store that was promoting fresh pastries .

“Sleepy ?” The woman behind the counter asked as she eyed my outfit . I smiled .

“Just a little .”

She handed me my change and then it was back out into the streets . Luckily it was early enough that I didn't have to worry about being run over while crossing the road .

When I got back to the bus it was almost exactly as I'd left it .

“Buy something nice ?” Colussy asked .

“Buy milk ?” Matt added .

“Yes , and yes” I said , putting the litre carton of milk in our mini fridge . Matt pursed his lips when he saw the size .

“That won't last long” He muttered .

And it didn't . The milk vanished within three people waking up .

“None left ?” Alex said , holding the carton upside down . Which is really stupid actually , because either nothing will come out because it's empty or the whole lot will come pouring out and you'll have none left .

“Sorry” Jack said , moving his cereal bowl onto as his lap , as if scared Alex would steal it .

Vinny smirked at the lead singer . “You snooze , you lose .”

Glad of my shop-bought breakfast , I retreated to the back lounge .

“Good morning” Nikki said to me , moving her feet so I could sit down .

“Same to you” I replied , “Morning Pommie .”

Pommie , curled up on the other sofa watching a boxset of FRIENDS , nodded to me .

“Is there any good breakfast out there ?” Nikki asked , peering up from behind her laptop to look down into the bus' makeshift kitchen .

“Not unless you count year-old cereal as good” I replied . She smiled .